A Dark Horse - Oscillating Multi Tool

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

A Dark Horse - Oscillating Multi Tool

Postby Andrew Herrick » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:43 pm

I admit it: I'm a tool junkie. It all started with an estate sale years ago, where I picked up an old radial arm saw (recalled), a 1960's table saw (no guard blade), three-legged router table and buzzy Chinese-made palm sander, for a grand total of $10. I've upgraded hardware since, but I still feel that craftsmanship means having the right tool in your hand. If you prefer the purity of hand tools, well, you're a better/more patient man than me :)

Anyways, in all my readings on this wonderful site, I've rarely come across mentions of an oscillating multi-tool, and as a new owner myself, I wanted to alert maybe some first-time builders to this inestimable tool. It's the third hand you've been waiting for. You probably already know that in order to build a simple teardrop you need a drill, jigsaw, circular saw and sander. I would add an oscillating multi-tool, like a Rockwell Sonicrafter or Dremel Multi Max, to that list. It's a lifesaver for plunge, flush and trim cuts, all of which are extremely awkward and/or dangerous with a jigsaw. I've experienced almost no kickback with an oscillating multi-tool; can't say the same for a jigsaw.

I've used mine to trim a hurricane hinge, flush cut shiner screws, cut electrical box openings, sand wooden trim, kerf short dado joints and flush trim sheet metal. And I'm sure there are dozens of other uses waiting to be discovered.

Bosch, Grizzly, Fein, Rockwell, DeWalt, Milkwaukee - lots of good brands making these things. Corded and battery-powered. $50 to $200 (with accessories).

Alright, commercial's over. Hope this helps saves someone else a headache. Good luck!
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Re: A Dark Horse - Oscillating Multi Tool

Postby les45 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:35 pm

I have to agree that my Dremel Multi Max is one of the top tools in my shop and probably one of the greatest inventions of recent times. My other hobby is building (or re-building) houses and that is where my Multi Max really shines. It cuts sheetrock with almost no dust and is invaluable in trimming door frames for flooring projects. It gets in places that most saws cannot and it easily cuts thin plastics and similar materials without melting them. However, for some reason, I don't recall ever using it on my teardrop projects. I'm sure there were some opportunities but I just didn't see them at the time.
les45
500 Club

Postby working on it » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:02 pm

Andrew Herrick wrote:...You probably already know that in order to build a simple teardrop you need a drill, jigsaw, circular saw and sander. I would add an oscillating multi-tool, like a Rockwell Sonicrafter or Dremel Multi Max, to that list. It's a lifesaver for plunge, flush and trim cuts, all of which are extremely awkward and/or dangerous with a jigsaw. I've experienced almost no kickback with an oscillating multi-tool; can't say the same for a jigsaw....
  • I've used a oscillating tool, also. It's good on cutting trim (on-the-spot, making up for measurement inaccuracies) and especially making electrical cut-outs in wallboard. I, for some reason, never even tried it on my TTT project, relying on my Rotozip for cut-outs (even cutting out my door openings thru double stacked 3/4" plywood sheets). When I would use the Rotozip accessories to try to make precise straight line cuts, or circular openings, it was not so bad, but I usually pushed the cuts too quickly, making rough cuts instead. Perhaps it is best suited for drywall, as it was first marketed for. I used it in lieu of any work with a jigsaw...I never could keep the blades from flexing-breaking-flying off, no matter which brand I tried. I can't remember using a circular saw, using my old tablesaw instead. I used a friends router table once, to make recessed door trim, but it kicked back on me, so I never tried it again.
  • Large steel tubing frame components were done on a chopsaw, while all other thick metal pieces were cut by reciprocating saw, followed by angle grinder with either cutting or grinding wheels. The grinder with cutting wheel made all the aluminum (and some wood) cuts, as I always have two grinders on hand (my go-to tools).As you see, my trailer was done with minimal wood-working, and basic metal-working tools: I made straight cuts wherever possible, drilled out holes to use carriage bolts and steel angles/corner braces to hold everything together,and tube after tube of PL Premium adhesive in every seam, inside and out.
  • I used Spax and Tek screws for wood-to wood and wood-to-metal attachment. I used pre-sanded plywood, to be covered with multiple layers of poly, alkyd resin-based, and enamel coatings, so my sander only addressed the rough cut made with the Rotozip. Bolts and locknuts were widely used to secure most peripheral parts (I am a backyard mechanic, at heart), and the most used tools were drill bits and hand wrenches. I used cordless Snap-on drill and impact tools, when constructing at my friend's shop, and after missing their availability when I brought it home to finish, bought a set of Milwaukee cordless tool for myself (they are now my everyday go-to tools!).
  • When I look back, it's amazing to me that I built it using mostly primitive tools, some in a manner they were not intended for, but acquiring new skills and tools along the way, it was done. I'll bet that there's someone out there that can utilize an oscillating multi-tool (with its' various attachments) to build a trailer from scratch. Where there's a will, there's a way.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby IndyTom » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:49 pm

I have two of them. One from Harbor Freight and one from Menard's Tool Shop brand. I have used the snot out of both of them. I have literally abused the one from Harbor Freight and I cannot make it fail. I will not be without at least one around the house. Everything that has been said about them and more..... They will do things you would never imagine. They just keep cutting. Never used one for anything else, just for cutting.

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby KTM_Guy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:22 pm

I got my Fein when they were the only one making a multitool. I would buy another in a heartbeat if it dies. I only wish the hook sanding pads would hold up better. With long stretches of sanding the pads heat up and the hooks melt and the paper doesn't stick.

I can a lot of uses on the tear build.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques