Hatch and Door suggestions?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Hatch and Door suggestions?

Postby curtybird95 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:51 am

I am looking for suggestions on my hatch. I would like the hatch to fold down and then i'm not sure about the spot where my cooler would go. I would prefer it to be a seperate door from my hatch door but i am just lost on ideas of how to do it. If you have any suggestions it would help a ton! Thank you!
Attachments
camper.jpg
camper.jpg (288.86 KiB) Viewed 852 times
curtybird95
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hatch and Door suggestions?

Postby KCStudly » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:04 pm

If you don't mind having a divider or even just a stile, you could do mini barn doors on the lower face, perhaps with a slide out tray on heavy drawer extensions. This seems to me to be the easiest/most efficient way to seal and latch the lower section, and would allow either door to open independently (as opposed to doors that overlap).

The upper hatch could be extended just enough to act as a drip edge for the lower doors, but would seal independently so that you don't necessarily have to open it to allow either of the lower doors to open.

How did you intend to seal the hatch along the counter edge? I don't see any provision for that in your current arrangement, unless you planned on having an angled lip on the lower edge of the upper hatch so that there is a spot for a weather seal to land on the upper edge of the counter rail.
Last edited by KCStudly on Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby curtybird95 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:23 pm

KCStudly wrote:If you don't mind having a divider or even just a stile, you could do mini barn doors on the lower face, perhaps with a slide out tray on heavy drawer extensions. This seems to me to be the easiest/most efficient way to seal and latch the lower section, and would allow either door to open independently (as apposed to doors that overlap).

The upper hatch could be extended just enough to act as a drip edge for the lower doors, but would seal independently so that you don't necessarily have to open it to allow either of the lower doors to open.

How did you intend to seal the hatch along the counter edge? I don't see any provision for that in your current arrangement, unless you planned on having an angled lip on the lower edge of the upper hatch so that there is a spot for a weather seal to land on the upper edge of the counter rail.

That was my idea, Put a bit thicker Counter top on it and have it the same angle as my back hatch with weather seal attached to the hatch itself so when i close it, it will seal it. If that makes sense?
curtybird95
Teardrop Inspector

Postby aggie79 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:15 pm

If your cooler is going stay in that arrangement how about accessing it through a sidewall door instead of the hatch? To get to the contents, you could put the cooler on a slide-out drawer.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby swoody126 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:49 pm

seems pretty simple to this ole chuck wagon cook

the space you are proposing to keep the cooler would be called THE BOOT on a chuck wagon as seen behind the deputy's legs (discussing going <35mph on US 380... :cry: )

heavier items were carried in the lower compartment for obvious reasons

when opened up the the tailboard/work surface would extend behind the door of the boot which becomes another shelf to keep stuff off the ground

just another way of skinnin a cat...

btw, this Ford TT truck based chuck wagon, powered by 4 of Henry's gasoline drinking horses, was not uncommon for units beginning in the mid > late 1920's

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby noseoil » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:50 am

We have the same cooler location, drawer slides (full extension) were used to make access easier. Just a simple shallow box, which allows the cooler to sit & be held in place when travelling, then it slides out for access to food.

It's a lot easier to have a hatch lift up & provide shade when cooking than have it drop down in actual use. A bit more work & planning, but worth the effort when it's done. Just sayin'....
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby JaggedEdges » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:14 am

swoody126 wrote:(discussing going <35mph on US 380... :cry: )

That'll learn you for trying to drive against the wind :D

Though were they thinking you were trying to spot UFOs/Secret aircraft or something?
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Postby swoody126 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:24 am

JaggedEdges wrote:
swoody126 wrote:(discussing going <35mph on US 380... :cry: )

That'll learn you for trying to drive against the wind :D

Though were they thinking you were trying to spot UFOs/Secret aircraft or something?

we were just west of Roswell, in Lincoln, when that pic was taken :D

sw
swoody126
500 Club

Postby rruff » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:18 pm

swoody126 wrote:the space you are proposing to keep the cooler would be called THE BOOT on a chuck wagon as seen behind the deputy's legs (discussing going <35mph on US 380... :cry: )

:NC I go less than 35mph on US 380 all the time (on a bicycle). Did you actually get a ticket?
rruff
Teardrop Master

Postby swoody126 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:19 pm

no coupon this tyme we bribed the deputy w/ a fresh cuppa cowboy coffee

actually it was all staged @ OLD LINCOLN DAYS where we were doing old west/cowboy/trail drive cooking presentations :D

sw
swoody126
500 Club

Postby steve cowan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:36 pm

swoody126 wrote:seems pretty simple to this ole chuck wagon cook

the space you are proposing to keep the cooler would be called THE BOOT on a chuck wagon as seen behind the deputy's legs (discussing going <35mph on US 380... :cry: )

when opened up the the tailboard/work surface would extend behind the door of the boot which becomes another shelf to keep stuff off the ground

btw, this Ford TT truck based chuck wagon, powered by 4 of Henry's gasoline drinking horses, was not uncommon for units beginning in the mid > late 1920's

sw

That is a cool looking rig you got there. :applause:
steve cowan
Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:37 pm

steve cowan wrote:
swoody126 wrote:seems pretty simple to this ole chuck wagon cook

sw

That is a cool looking rig you got there. :applause:

THANKS, just thought i'd stir the pot since the OP has a BOOT already in place

sw
swoody126
500 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques