Restoration question on paneling the inside.

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Restoration question on paneling the inside.

Postby pedal paddle hike » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:24 am

Hi guys, it's been a while.

Recently, we had a restoration job roll into the shop. It is a 1947 tourette built right here in Kansas City. The outside is riveted aluminum. So far we have replaced all of the framing strips with poplar and started the insulation. The customer will be wiring it himself this weekend.

We will be replacing the wall paneling with 1/4 cabinet grade birch, and here is where my question lies. The plan is to skin the ceiling first, and then the walls. And we will cut trim from maple. The walls will butt up to the ceiling. The ceiling will have a half inch overlap where the wall butts up to it.

Would you fasten the trim to both the wall and ceiling? Or would you only attatch the trim to the walls to leave room for movement?

The construction of this trailer is much different than what I am used to, with solid walls and the skin floating to counter expansion/contraction. With the aluminum rigid shell, I am concerned with movement of the interior.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
pedal paddle hike
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Restoration question on paneling the inside.

Postby edls » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:54 pm

I know your post was a while ago.... What did you end up doing on the inside ?? I am also going to insulate and want to know more ??
Thanks
Ed
edls
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques