Expose or cover frame?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Expose or cover frame?

Postby QueticoBill » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:44 am

It seems a large majority of the tears I have seen or more seen photos of have the side walls and/or skin extending to hide or cover the trailer frame. Teatrs obviously intended for off-road use more than general use seem to expose the frame much more often. Since I'm working towards a more retro design, using the original trailer for two article and plans for profile and appearance, and the frame was exposed, I'm considering it. I am using the NT 5X8, and not extending width. It seems that extending a 4' wide standard trailer could play a part in the walls extending to bottom of frame or appearing to.

So, any practical considerations - like weather and wind blown rain - to consider? Purely aesthetic? Can't help but think the easy extra 2-3 1/2" of height isn't welcomed.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Re: Expose or cover frame?

Postby aggie79 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:20 am

My sidewalls, and front and back cover the 2" square tube frame. While we don't miss the 2" loss of headroom, concealing the frame was a lot of extra work for not much aesthetic gain. I don't think I'd go to the trouble of concealing the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Re: Expose or cover frame? leave exposed, to maintain easier

Postby working on it » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:56 am

QueticoBill wrote:It seems a large majority of the tears I have seen or more seen photos of have the side walls and/or skin extending to hide or cover the trailer frame. Tears obviously intended for off-road use more than general use seem to expose the frame much more often.... So, any practical considerations - like weather and wind blown rain - to consider? ....
  • I was building with weather exposure in mind, and ease of checking on and/or repairing of future potential water intrusion. I started with a 50"x60" frame, welding on one foot in front, and two feet in the rear to increase the frame 'platform to 96". I placed the first sheet of 1/2" birch plywood on the frame with the front recessed 3/4" from the edge, and the rear all the way to the edge of the frame. A vertical front wall was to be placed directly on the frame at the front, while an overlapping vertical hatch door would close against the rear edge of plywood. PL Premium adhesive sealed all wood to frame contact points. the plywood sheet, centered from side to side, left exposed frame and exposed plywood edges (to be sealed later with poly "mix", straight polyurethane, and finally multiple coats of acrylic enamel -for waterproofing). After the 1/2" sheet was carriage-bolted to frame crossmembers, a 1/4" luan sheet was glued to it with Titebond2, pressure-rolled, and Tek screws were installed thru both layers of wood into the frame, all-around the perimeter. The finished flooring was given the complete poly treatment.
  • frame exposed all around.png
    frame exposed all around.png (405.79 KiB) Viewed 737 times
  • The 3/4" front wall of the trailer rests on top of the frame, sealed with PL adhesive, and there is a thin steel plate glued and screwed to the outside surface, that drops down over the wood-to-frame interface, to protect it from highway speed-induced debris, and forced water intrusion.
  • frame overlap.png
    frame overlap.png (197.38 KiB) Viewed 737 times
  • As I stated, I intended to leave all other plywood edges either exposed for my future care, or directly sealed to other plywood surfaces. That said, I then put the rear bulkhead, and the 3/4" vertical walls sitting, and completely sealed to, the top edge of the plywood floor. The roof pieces were placed on top of the walls, with its plywood edges also exposed, and they were sealed in the same manner. All joints and seams were then also sealed, inside and outside, with more PL, and later the poly and paint. P.S. all exposed hardware was sealed, and the holes drilled to install bolts sealed, usually with PL, or with UV-resistant clear acrylic enamel.
  • I think I sealed it pretty well (except for the canopy dumping water onto a not-completely-shut door-seal!), but to do so, required that the interior width was only 46.5" (which negated a plan to install a 48" wide front window I had already purchased), while the interior height stayed a full 48", but it was a change in my original plan, that I thought would be better for later inspection and possible touch-ups. Besides, I thought that the exposed frame was a plus factor for a nuts-and-bolts guy to show off.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:29 pm

QueticoBill wrote:It seems a large majority of the tears I have seen or more seen photos of have the side walls and/or skin extending to hide or cover the trailer frame. Teatrs obviously intended for off-road use more than general use seem to expose the frame much more often. Since I'm working towards a more retro design, using the original trailer for two article and plans for profile and appearance, and the frame was exposed, I'm considering it. I am using the NT 5X8, and not extending width. It seems that extending a 4' wide standard trailer could play a part in the walls extending to bottom of frame or appearing to.

So, any practical considerations - like weather and wind blown rain - to consider? Purely aesthetic? Can't help but think the easy extra 2-3 1/2" of height isn't welcomed.

If I recall correctly, the NT trailer platform is made of angle iron with the leg up. If you inset your floor and or side walls, I would use trim to bridge the gap of the upright frame leg and sidewall to prevent a place for water to collect.
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby QueticoBill » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:32 pm

aggie79 wrote:
QueticoBill wrote:It seems a large majority of the tears I have seen or more seen photos of have the side walls and/or skin extending to hide or cover the trailer frame. Teatrs obviously intended for off-road use more than general use seem to expose the frame much more often. Since I'm working towards a more retro design, using the original trailer for two article and plans for profile and appearance, and the frame was exposed, I'm considering it. I am using the NT 5X8, and not extending width. It seems that extending a 4' wide standard trailer could play a part in the walls extending to bottom of frame or appearing to.

If I recall correctly, the NT trailer platform is made of angle iron with the leg up. If you inset your floor and or side walls, I would use trim to bridge the gap of the upright frame leg and sidewall to prevent a place for water to collect.

I think there are several generations of the NT Ironton 5 x 8 - an mine bought in last few months is a channel - bent steel - roughly 1/8+" thick - 3 1/2" deep - and flanges about 1 1/2". Originally planned on 1/4 ply outer wall extending to bottom of channel but now considering cutting floor a 1/4" shy frame out to out and letting 1/4 ply be flush with frame. Some attention to detail at that "gap" for weather.

All prompted by underslung springs to lower trailer and mounting fenders higher - to which I have a solution but is not separate from the frame question. At least I'm cutting and welding finally. A tangible start.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:21 am

GPW may pipe in here. He lives in a very wet/humid location (NOLA) and has found that having at least a drip edge running past the frame will keep moisture from rolling under the edge of the wall, where it can rot the lower edge of the wall and creep between the floor and frame. Could be as simple as a small bevel cut on the bottom edge of the ply, or a dedicated trim piece. (Check his FoamStream foamie build for more details and discussion.)

I am building a mild off road TD and am keeping my cabin fully on top of the frame totally flush to the outside; no way to bottom out the cabin on terrain. I hadn't considered the drip edge thing, but with fiberglass/epoxy wrapping 4 to 6 inches underneath from the side wall, well past the frame to cabin mating surface and plans to use waterproof welting or sealer at the joint, I don't think I need to worry about rot.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:08 am

Mine sits on top of the frame, but it was due to "necessity" & the actual frame. I measured it at the flat sides when I bought it, but found out later that the widest point on the frame was actually 60 1/2" (at the outside of the bend). It was 1/2" too wide for 5' material...

This made for some interesting design decisions with all available materials being 5' wide, but it worked. Basically, everything was done with a 1/4" reveal for assembly, but with rabbet joints, much of it was milled out & covered by assembly. The .040" aluminum was 5' wide, but the trim is set in butyl rubber tape, so things pull up well enough. The bottom of the aluminum side seams are done with trim. The only place the baltic birch was really too short was at the outside edges. On the hatch it was resolved by cutting 2 pieces 30 1/4" instead of 1. The rest is covered anyway, so it's no big deal.

The body then sits on regular construction type wall tape, which is a foam product for bedding 2x walls on concrete. It is compressed by the weight of the platform & the bolts through the frame. So far there are no leaks, but we haven't gone swimming yet & hope not to with this design.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:10 am

KCStudly wrote:GPW may pipe in here. He lives in a very wet/humid location (NOLA) and has found that having at least a drip edge running past the frame will keep moisture from rolling under the edge of the wall, where it can rot the lower edge of the wall and creep between the floor and frame. Could be as simple as a small bevel cut on the bottom edge of the ply, or a dedicated trim piece. (Check his FoamStream foamie build for more details and discussion.)

I second the drip edge consideration. My walls overhang the frame, but there is 1/4" clearance between the outside edge of the frame and the inside of the walls. The extension and gap function as a drip edge.

If you build flush, I'd consider using sealant between the frame and the bottom surface to stop capillary action of water.
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby bd_ohio » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:24 am

noseoil wrote:

@noseoil - the green finish looks fantastic. Is that a painted aluminum skin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brian - rookie trailer builder
Columbus, OH
bd_ohio
Teardrop Inspector

Postby noseoil » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:39 am

It's pre-finished .040" aluminum used in the sign industry. Available in different colors & sizes, so take a look for a local supplier in the sign industry, to see what you can find nearby.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques