Is it possible or safe to put a lift on a torsion axle?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Is it possible or safe to put a lift on a torsion axle?

Postby dncnryn » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:41 pm

I bought an old pop up camper. Have it tore down to just the metal frame and I'm about to begin brushing the old rust down and prime and paint it. Will probably have to end up getting a new axle. Right now it has a torsion axle and I don't think it will be possible to change it with a regular leaf spring axle because the trailer is almost all channel tubing.

My question is.. Is it possible or safe to lift a torsion axle? The trailer itself is approx. 6x9 but at the moment the wheels are set in the trailer. This makes the main bed area much smaller than I'd like and I am not wanting to make the bed lay horizontally. What would be a good option here?
dncnryn
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Is it possible or safe to put a lift on a torsion axle?

Postby MtnDon » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:56 pm

Search for Flexiride, a torsion axle that has the arms fitted with splines in order to provide for adjustability.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:05 pm

They will sag with age as the rubber ages, you could I suppose change the angle of the axle in a number of fashions. You might be ahead by replacing the axle, ours is a Dexter but Flexride allows you to adjust the angel http://www.theuniversalgroup.com/flexiride

My solution was to install air shocks
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:29 pm

By lift, do you mean raise the frame relative to the wheels? if you can remove the axle from the frame, I don't see why you could not put a spacer - like a piece of steel tube - between axle and frame.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:10 am

If it's an old trailer, just put a new axle in place & forget about it. Dinking around, shims, lifts & spacers won't help one that's worn out. Why go to all the time & trouble of building a trailer with a bad axle? Buy once, cry once....
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Esteban » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:23 pm

Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby dncnryn » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:32 am

noseoil wrote:If it's an old trailer, just put a new axle in place & forget about it. Dinking around, shims, lifts & spacers won't help one that's worn out. Why go to all the time & trouble of building a trailer with a bad axle? Buy once, cry once....

The plan is to buy a new axle. The only thing is that as of right now, the wheels sit inside the frame. Which is fine but it means I would have to build around the wheels. I just was wondering if it's possible or safe to lift a torsion axle after I get a new one.
dncnryn
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dncnryn » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:34 am

QueticoBill wrote:By lift, do you mean raise the frame relative to the wheels? if you can remove the axle from the frame, I don't see why you could not put a spacer - like a piece of steel tube - between axle and frame.

That is exactly what I mean. Instead of having to build around the wheels I'd like to be able to just have one completely flat surface inside.
dncnryn
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques