Stargazer Window Install and Trim

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Stargazer Window Install and Trim

Postby NWteardropper15 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:36 pm

I ordered a stargazer window last year, and due to the purchase of a house, I have been out of building my trailer for the last 6 months and I'm a bit rusty now that I'm returning to building. I'm installing the headliner this weekend and going over measurements and trying to figure out how to install the stargazer window. I received a window and a silvery metal frame Image with pilot holes drilled on the inside of the frame's flange. My assumption is that the outward facing flange should be towards the inside of the trailer and the window sits on top of the portion with the drilled holes on the outside portion of the trailer Image.

So a couple of questions...my plan is once the metal frame is in place to put some butyl tape between the metal and the window to create a weatherproof seal, but then I'm not sure if I should install screws through the pilot holes directly into the frame of the window? Do I drill holes in the undrilled flange to fasten it to the roof? What do I do with this dimpled adjustment bar, how do I manipulate it? Image

I just need some direction since I haven't found anybody directly addressing the install of this window. If there is a tutorial please point me in the right direction! :thinking:
Measure twice, cut once, buy a new piece.
NWteardropper15
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Stargazer Window Install and Trim

Postby prider » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:29 pm

I'm not sure about the installation, but where did you buy both the window and the metal frame? If you don't mind me asking...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
prider
Teardrop Inspector

Postby NWteardropper15 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:57 pm

prider wrote:I'm not sure about the installation, but where did you buy both the window and the metal frame? If you don't mind me asking...

Google Vintage Technologies / Frank Bear.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
NWteardropper15
Teardrop Inspector

Postby prider » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:03 pm

I saw that he's selling the window, I didn't realize he also sold that silver frame. Hopefully someone had installed this and can give you some advice. Thanks.

prider
Teardrop Inspector

Postby NWteardropper15 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:08 pm

prider wrote:I saw that he's selling the window, I didn't realize he also sold that silver frame. Hopefully someone had installed this and can give you some advice. Thanks.

No problem glad to help. Yeah I'm hoping for some insight. I sent the company an email since they don't provide instructions for installation of all their items.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
NWteardropper15
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Andrew Herrick » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:43 pm

Now, I haven't installed that Star Gazer window ... and it's hard to tell by the pictures ... but most RV's install through clamping pressure. An interior trim ring - which might be that silvery frame with predrilled pilot holes - is inside of the rough opening. The main window fits from the outside. Then you drill self-drilling sheet-metal screws from the inside through the clamping ring and into the main window, which draws them together. This compresses the main window and, with the aid of butyl tape, seals the perimeter.

Or so goes the theory. Anyways, I can't tell if this is that sort of window. Any more pictures?
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby prider » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:12 am

I saw a post a couple days ago from danielj called "Ready to camp with fellow teardroppers - when and where." He posted a couple pics of his teardrop and it looks like he installed the same stargazer window. You could try sending him a PM, or checking out his pictures. Just a thought...

prider
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Minics04 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:04 am

How thick is your roof/wall?

I ordered my window from Vintage Tech and was sent the silver trim like yours. I think that is for 2 1/2 inch walls/roof. I had to re-order the trim ring that is for 1 1/2 inch walls/roof. The smaller trim ring is black in color.

Hope this helps and is not bad news for your pocket book!!!
Minics04
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:12 am

As I understand it, if the window flange (outside flange) doesn't already have a rubber ribbed seal incorporated (and then even if it does, it is common practice to add) the butyl tape goes under the outside flange of the window unit, not between the clamp ring and window. The seal is formed at the exterior face of the wall, so adding butyl to the clamp ring just makes a mess and wastes material with no effect.

I suspect that the trim ring was inverted and nested over the inside shape of the window for more efficient shipping. The inner leg of the "Z" shape gets screwed to the inside face of the window. Normally no screws go thru the outer flange of the window, avoiding possible leaks, and it is the clamping action of the window frame and outer trim ring frame that sandwiches the wall. The trim ring offset has to be specific to your wall thickness otherwise it won't clamp (i.e. you want a small/minimal gap between clamp ring and inner window frame once everything is tight).

The dimpled piece is there to hold the two ends of the trim ring together. I don't think its supposed to be loose or adjustable, but may have loosened up in shipping. You can probably double check the fit to make sure it wants to be closed up tight, then just restake the dimples using a center punch to tighten it back up again (protect exposed surfaces by backing them up with a rag or scrap piece of foam, soft vise jaws, etc., as required). If you are going to exchange the trim ring for one with a different offset, this is moot.

On my side door windows, they came with trim rings for a thicker wall. I am making thin wooden trim/spacer rings matching my interior finish that will allow me to use a flat clamp ring that I will make from sheet aluminum. That way I can set the amount of clamping force by setting the thickness of the spacer and minimize any unsightly gaps.
Last edited by KCStudly on Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby DWT77 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:33 am

On this build he did not use a trim ring. Pictures might help you out. Scroll down a little bit and you can see the window.

I bought my window off of ebay and it did not have a trim ring. I will be going through this eventually myself

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?p=1043791#p1043791
DWT77
The 300 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques