How low to mount doors?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

How low to mount doors?

Postby Dirtclod » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:44 am

Good Morning

Quick question. I am using premade Challenger doors (which are nice BTW) for a teardrop build and at the point of cutting my inner wall template. If we are using a 6 inch mattress, what's the consensus on how much mattress needs to be above the door frame so the door frame wont dig into the back of your leg when sitting down to get in and out of the tear?

Thanks in Advance

Mike
Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Re: How low to mount doors?

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:04 am

As a general rule of thumb, half the thickness of the mattress above the floor works well. So 3" in your case. If situate the door sill any lower, you'll have to open your windows further to allow for airflow above the mattress, which in a rainstorm can be a not-so-good idea.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby les45 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:53 am

+1 on Zach's comment. Also, if you make it any higher, you will end up sitting on the hard frame edge when getting in and out.
les45
500 Club

Postby prider » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:15 am

Mike, which doors did you use from Challenger? I'm looking at door options and I'm wondering what model you used. Thanks

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
prider
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dirtclod » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:55 am

Thanks for the replies. I thought I had read somewhere on here to set the door height at 3 inches for a 6 inch mattress. Just wanted to double check before cutting the wall. You know .. Measure twice, scratch head then ask someone :?

Prider, I called several times and didn't get a response so I emailed them and got a reply right away. I ordered 2 of their 26X36 doors in black. One for each side. They are model number 805, but when you look at their site they don't show these particular ones. They are the same ones used by a well know "little" commercial teardrop manufacturer according to what I have read.

The part number on the invoice is 2-233850 for the Right Hand Door and 2-233851 for the left had door. Will come with trim rings and drip cap for each door. They will need to know the wall thickness when you order to ensure that you get the correct trim rings.

I haven't installed them yet but they look very well made. Took about 2 weeks to get them in.
Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Postby Dirtclod » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:00 am

Prider

I snapped a pic for you of the door last night. It needs to be cleaned up. The packaging is top notch. They ship them in a crate with foam and cardboard dividers. He charges 20 for the packaging but its worth every penny

Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Postby prider » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:29 pm

Thanks for the reply. Lots of good info. I'm split on buying a door vs building, so I'm just trying to gather all the options and info I can. Much appreciated!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
prider
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:04 pm

Dirtclod wrote:Thanks for the replies. I thought I had read somewhere on here to set the door height at 3 inches for a 6 inch mattress. Just wanted to double check before cutting the wall. You know .. Measure twice, scratch head then ask someone :?

Prider, I called several times and didn't get a response so I emailed them and got a reply right away. I ordered 2 of their 26X36 doors in black. One for each side. They are model number 805, but when you look at their site they don't show these particular ones. They are the same ones used by a well know "little" commercial teardrop manufacturer according to what I have read.

The part number on the invoice is 2-233850 for the Right Hand Door and 2-233851 for the left had door. Will come with trim rings and drip cap for each door. They will need to know the wall thickness when you order to ensure that you get the correct trim rings.

I haven't installed them yet but they look very well made. Took about 2 weeks to get them in.

Dirt:

What did the pair set you back?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Amikins » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:26 am

Dirtclod wrote:Thanks for the replies. I thought I had read somewhere on here to set the door height at 3 inches for a 6 inch mattress. Just wanted to double check before cutting the wall. You know .. Measure twice, scratch head then ask someone :?

How long did it take them to get back to you? and did you just use the " [email protected]" email address? ive emailed them and haven't heard anything for a few days. maybe I'm just being impatient. haha.
Amikins
Teardrop Inspector

How low to mount doors?

Postby mcubberley » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:03 pm

Amikins wrote:

How long did it take them to get back to you? and did you just use the " [email protected]" email address? ive emailed them and haven't heard anything for a few days. maybe I'm just being impatient. haha.

Their inside sales guy (Jason Helmuth) has been out for a funeral. Seems to have cased him a little delay. I just completed my custom square order today and the 10 day turn time begins.
Some day I will figure out something to put here. But for now....
mcubberley
Teardrop Master

Postby Amikins » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:05 am

mcubberley wrote:
Amikins wrote:

Their inside sales guy (Jason Helmuth) has been out for a funeral. Seems to have cased him a little delay. I just completed my custom square order today and the 10 day turn time begins.

THanks! I just got an Email this morning.
Amikins
Teardrop Inspector

Postby QueticoBill » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:29 am

Do you think the door bottom can be too low? This is of course can be constrained by the door height, but if that is not set, what are the negatives of it being lower, particularly home built doors?

Teardrop door.jpg
Teardrop door.jpg (75.91 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby working on it » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:53 pm

QueticoBill wrote:Do you think the door bottom can be too low? This is of course can be constrained by the door height, but if that is not set, what are the negatives of it being lower, particularly home built doors?
  • The OP was asking about door height using pre-made Challenger doors, which I assume come mounted in a full perimeter frame. With that in mind, there would have to be a wall surface of sufficient height above the trailer frame to bolt/screw the doorframe to. That would limit how low the door can be. In QueticoBill's case, and the same goes for my trailer, the doors can go lower, either resting on the trailer frame (I assume using a water-resistant threshold) or at least a door sweep, to deter water intrusion. A standard rubber weatherstrip wouldn't work, in a small TD or TTT, because of contact with an occupant's derriere, when entering or exiting thru a short door (especially in a 4x8). Larger door sizes, in a standy or cargo conversion, would pose no need to enter while sitting down, so a full perimeter doorseal could be used.
  • 102813105587 doors go to wall bottom, 3/4" above frame (resting on floor)
  • door sweep and threshold.PNG
    door sweep and threshold.PNG (111.45 KiB) Viewed 1067 times
    pieces used in lieu of full perimeter doorseal
  • door and automotive seal.png
    door and automotive seal.png (258.52 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
    upper door uses rubber seal not possible at floor
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:45 pm

I was looking at a "lip" that over hung the floor edge and chassis. Thought about a "Z" piece attached to inside and bottom of door, or just a drip cap, and fiberglass door. Seems like with a mattress you butt would not be on threshold.

Thanks.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby working on it » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:12 pm

QueticoBill wrote:I was looking at a "lip" that over hung the floor edge and chassis.
That's why I used the raised curve of the threshold to create a slight friction-fit with the door, and use a stiff vinyl door sweep to create on overhang to seal off the threshold/door from water being blown in, or thru surface tension. My 3/4' thick floor sits on the trailer frame, and the sweep overhangs it by 5/8", leaving an 1/8" gap above the steel frame (the 48" wide floor/deck is centered on the 50" wide trailer frame, so 1" of frame is exposed, preventing further overhang depth). Your walls seem to extend fully to the edge of your frame, so you could have even greater overhang than I. I could install a wider threshold to extend to or past the steel frame edge, and have less chance of water intrusion from surface tension, but but what I use now has worked so far...if I remember to fully close my doors (and don't let the canopy drain directly onto upper the door seal, when slightly ajar).
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques