Mount interior skin

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Mount interior skin

Postby flip » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:16 pm

How the heck does everyone mount the interior 1/4" along the curve? Screw? Small nails? Glue? Help appreciated!
flip
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Mount interior skin

Postby exminnesotaboy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:02 pm

I used 1/8" and it bent much easier than 1/4". Or you can try to find 3/8" bendy plywood. I set up a jig to hold it firm against spars and used a brad nailer. I also used some adhesive and blocked the backside between the spars. I will also use this method on the tear I am building now once I get to that point.
exminnesotaboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby flip » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:48 pm

Ah yes, sorry mine is 1/8th as well. Thanks a ton for the photo, that's a great idea with the extra blocking. My spars are only 6" apart anyways... fairly beefy but it'll be used off road more than not.

I think that clears it up - I'll use the brad nailer and some adhesive. Excellent... :D
flip
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dales133 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:58 pm

As much as i didnt want to i had to use temporary screw through small blocks to hod the skin in situ on the tightest part of the radius.
Should look fine if i colour match the filler corectly

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Boreal » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:10 pm

I'm there right now. Just tonight I did this. Here's what I did...

1. I fit the inner skin along the roof groove. I did this to measure accurately both the length and the depth of the spars. Yes, they vary a little bit, each on. I used 1.5' x 2" ripped from 2x6s.

2. I made my measurements, tentatively placed the spars, and drew guidelines on the 1./8" inner skin.

3. I removed the skin and placed it flat on my deck. I then glued (white Weldbond) the spars and placed them (4 of them, 11.5" apart, more or less) on the outside of the 1/8" skin. I then laid some cross pieces and an old slab door, and weighted the whole affair down.

4. Tomorrow I will remove and take pictures and post them here. I'll take the 63" x 48" skin and place it back into the roof groove, gluing it with PL Premium to the 2" EPS and 1/4" cedar ply that forms the wall lip.

Pictures might help this make more sense, so I'll post them tomorrow. But super stong glue, no marks, nails, or blemishes on ths inside ceiling. What I wanted.
Boreal
Teardrop Builder

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques