need locking drawer slides

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

need locking drawer slides

Postby tobyd » Tue May 02, 2017 1:29 pm

Hi All,

We're about to being design for the galley kitchen in a cargo-style camper, and the plan is to have a top-loading electric cooler on a slide out platform. I'm looking for some locking drawer slides that'll have about 24-28" of extension, and carry maybe 100lbs max in cooler plus contents (with a added factor of safety on top of that, of course). Can anyone provide suggestions for suitable hardware?

Thanks,
Toby.
tobyd
Teardrop Inspector

Re: need locking drawer slides

Postby TimC » Tue May 02, 2017 3:11 pm

This probably isn't what you are after. I just thought I would throw it out there as an option if you can't find what you are looking for. Kind of a DIY style solution. I've seen many creative examples of this type of pin on t&ttt...

I have a very wide drawer in my galley.

I had trouble with it extending anytime the TD wasn't sitting level. So I created a pin which is hidden in the cabinet above the drawer.

It was quite simple to locate a pin that would lock the drawer closed when needed. It is aligned with a divider in the drawer below.

A shot of the hole that the pin drops into in the divider in the drawer. Works pretty well.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Tue May 02, 2017 3:56 pm

Google freeslides

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Esteban » Tue May 02, 2017 5:41 pm

Woodworker's Supply has a wide range of drawer slides that may fit your needs.

KV 8400 RV Full Extension 100 lb Drawer Slide with Stay Close Feature drawer slides may do what you want. KV 8400 RV drawer slides are available from 10" up to 28" long.
KV8400 RV precision ball-bearing full-extension "stay-close" drawer slide. Drawers stay closed while in motion or on an incline. Perfect for vehicles or carts.One set comes with a left and right slide to do one drawer.

I bought three 28" long KV 8400 RV drawer slides for the galley drawers under my counter top. Will buy two 18" KV8400 RV slides for drawers inside the cabin area

My galley will be 32.5" deep (length from the front of the galley cabinet to the rear bulkhead) under the counter top. I bought 30" over travel KV 8505 Overtravel 150 lb. File Drawer Slides for the drawer that will house a 40 or 50 liter AC/DC refrigerator/freezer. I bought 24" KV 8505 slides for the drawer that will house the Camp Chef Outdoor Camp Oven. Overtravel slides will make it easier to access the fridge/freezer and also will provide more non-combustible air space between the counter top and the flames/heat of the stove/oven.
Overtravel drawer slides are the answer for when a standard full-extension slide does not extend far enough out of the cabinet to allow adequate access to the very back of the drawer. This can be a problem for cabinets and furniture that have countertops or desk tops that extend past the face of the cabinet. This is especially critical when file drawers have hanging files all the way to the back of the drawer and the overhang of the top makes getting to the files difficult. These slides use precision ball bearing construction for precise and smooth action. Depending on the slide, you can get either 1" or 1-1/2" of overtravel.
Last edited by Esteban on Thu May 04, 2017 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Philip » Wed May 03, 2017 8:03 am

Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby exminnesotaboy » Thu May 04, 2017 7:52 pm

I can't speak to the longer extensions you need, but I just installed 16" KV 8400RV slides in my new build. I really like the stay close feature. I am very confident they won't open by themselves.
exminnesotaboy
Gold Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques