Foam insulation

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Foam insulation

Postby EnduroFit » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:50 am

Finally started to add the 1 inch foam to my trailer. Now that it's hot and steamy in the South, I'll be looking for some cooler mountain getaways in the Blue Ridge this Summer.

I installed reflective side in, with the paper backing against the aluminum skin outer. Good, bad idea? Trial and error? I'll eventually cover with something thin, maybe bead board or carpet. Any suggestions? ImageImage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
EnduroFit
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Foam insulation

Postby Andrew Herrick » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:39 pm

For all others reading this:

The aluminized reflective side is designed as a radiant barrier, which is only effective when facing an air space.
The "back side" of foam, either XPS or EPS, usually has a thin plastic sheet as a water barrier.

Which way you install the foam, to my knowledge, doesn't really matter in a teardrop camper, since both sides will be covered up, both sides have a water barrier, and there's no air space to allow the radiant barrier to work properly. So basically: You can't go wrong! :)

As far as your choice of headliner goes: Do you plan to install it with an adhesive or fasteners? That will really determine what sort of headliner would work best, I think.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Re: Foam insulation

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:00 am

Spray glue and heavy weight material works great. I simply back taped mine and jammed it into place.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques