Cabinet Countertop Torsion Box?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Cabinet Countertop Torsion Box?

Postby DWT77 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:46 pm

I did a quick search but didn't find what I was looking for, maybe someone can help me out.

I will be building my cabinets and galley countertops soon. I have thought about how I want to build them but haven't made any concrete decisions. For instance just use a face frame, 1/2 Baltic birch dividers and a 3/4" solid piece of plywood but that seems heavy to me.

Then I thought how about making a torsion box countertop and drawer dividers so save weight. I was thinking of making it like the picture below with the foam insulation for support and skinning it with 1/4" birch or another type of wood. I would have cross members where the drawer slides need to mount for side rails. I could put Formica on the countertop and stain the birch dividers.

Any thoughts on doing it like that?

or just in general how to make a strong/light weight cabinets for galley and cabin interior?

DWT77
The 300 Club

Re: Cabinet Countertop Torsion Box?

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:49 pm

This is what I do. Soft Maple frames, pocket screwed together. Then I skin with 1/8". The counter tops are made the same way, but I use 1/4" on the top covered with Formica. Plenty strong and very light weight. No backs or tops, I just used the paneling already there.

Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby DWT77 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:58 pm

[quote="Woodbutcher"]This is what I do. Soft Maple frames, pocket screwed together. Then I skin with 1/8". The counter tops are made the same way, but I use 1/4" on the top covered with Formica. Plenty strong and very light weight. No backs or tops, I just used the paneling already there.

Thanks Woodbutcher. I think I will give a try
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby DWT77 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:58 am

Woodbutcher wrote:This is what I do. Soft Maple frames, pocket screwed together. Then I skin with 1/8". The counter tops are made the same way, but I use 1/4" on the top covered with Formica. Plenty strong and very light weight. No backs or tops, I just used the paneling already there.

Woodbutcher do you like to use 1.5" or 2.5 inch for your faces? I think they call them maple style boards? Is that correct?
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby lrrowe » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:03 pm

I used the foam sandwiching on several interior walls tomsave strength and maintain strength.
For my counters, I used heavy, very heavy, 1 1/2" particle board counter tops salvaged from a home kitchen remodel.
Once I finish a few other improvements to my CT, I will,replace these counter tops with ones similar to above posts....3/4" x 1 1/2" popular framing, 1/8" birch or underlayment and then formica. That should save me a lot of weight.

The downside to this approach is an issue closely related to adding more space to your home or garage. The anology goes like this....the more room you add to your home, the more you will fill it up with something. So the lighter you make something for the trailer, the more you might be inclined to add the weight back by adding another feature.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques