Sacrificial Anode

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Sacrificial Anode

Postby kramergwt » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:44 pm

A month ago I learned that because of the hard water here in Austin and also because I have a water treatment system for it, that there are rods in all hot water heaters that are made of magnesium (sometimes Aluminum but Magnesium is supposed to be better). Their role is to direct corrosion to the rods first and if changed periodically they will extend the life of your steel tank. They're called sacrificial anodes because they die so your tank doesn't have to.

...so I started thinking about all the other steel things that rust and could be saved with the same kind of principle. I'm planning on tracking down a piece of magnesium and bolting it to the Northern Tool trailer frame I am building on. If it does nothing, the worst that could happen is I will be out the price of a cheap piece of magnesium.

Anybody else try that? Seems like a good precaution. You just have to make sure there is electrical continuity between the piece of magnesium and the steel part you are trying to protect.

Here's what a 6 year old anode rod from my water heater looks like next to the new replacement...https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10213499861154823&set=pcb.10213499884875416&type=3&theater

Just a thought.
kramergwt
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Sacrificial Anode

Postby Pinstriper » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:09 pm

This will work, if you keep your trailer submerged in water. Boats have this.

Other than that, no.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby kramergwt » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:46 pm

In college I had a friend that kept a bar of magnesium in the scratched up bed of his truck. It was an old Ford that was ungaraged in Connecticut and no rust. I figure it can't hurt anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
kramergwt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dancam » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:05 pm

They sell rust preventers that you wire to your vehicle that claim to do exactly that. I Dont belive they work, like it was said, your vehicle is not underwater.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby kramergwt » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:06 pm

Chemically, it just has to be collocated with the steel parts exposed to water. It's an oxidation reduction reaction. Submersion isn't required. I just threw it out wondering if anyone else ever tried it and what their results might have been.

kramergwt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dancam » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:15 pm

kramergwt wrote:Chemically, it just has to be collocated with the steel parts exposed to water. It's an oxidation reduction reaction. Submersion isn't required. I just threw it out wondering if anyone else ever tried it and what their results might have been.

Lots of people have tried. Heres the first article i found with a google search. It explains why they dont work. http://corrosion-doctors.org/Car/car-electronic-protection.htm

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby Pinstriper » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:48 pm

Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby kramergwt » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:25 am

Well, I did some additional research based on a more refined search and it turns out you guys are right. Road spray is not enough contact for the oxidation reduction reaction to happen and this galvanic anode would do next to nothing. Thanks for the info and the discussion!
kramergwt
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques