Bending 1/8 plywood tighter

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: Bending 1/8 plywood tighter

Postby kramergwt » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:19 pm

dancam wrote:I know fibreglass would be very strong against rocks, pmf (with canvass and paint) isnt.
Fibreglass>latex paint.
I dont think im prepared to learn how to do fibreglass on wood right now, i just want this done...

That's my quandary too. Never did Fiberglas and don't want to mess up the last 2%.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
kramergwt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dancam » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:31 pm

Figured i would keep this updated. I retured the bendable plywood and bought baltic birch. Cut it out and am in the process of gluing it on. Unfortunatly i can only do one piece on each per day :(
Its going on pretty well, not hard to do the bend, ther is a bunch of force involved but no crackling and splitting of the wood this time. No steam bending needed. Hardest part is clamping it all evenly before it tacks up.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby drhill » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:55 pm

haha, no such thing as too many clamps.

That is going to look good. Bring it down to High River Sept 24 to show it off!
drhill
Teardrop Master

Postby dancam » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:42 pm

drhill wrote:haha, no such thing as too many clamps.

That is going to look good. Bring it down to High River Sept 24 to show it off!

We will be heading south with it this fall, not sure if it will be ready in a month, but whats happening then?

dancam
500 Club

Postby drhill » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:47 pm

there is a huge car show in High River September 24. It is an annual event and has over 1000 vehicles. Last year there were 3 teardrop trailers there and lots of interest in them. So this year we figured lets book a group campsite for Fri and Sat, Sept 22 and 23 and make it a gathering and show and shine. Should be a lot of fun. Look for the facebook group "Canada West Teardroppers" for details. Post back here if you have trouble finding it.
drhill
Teardrop Master

Postby dancam » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:49 pm

Still coming along slowly. To use as few fasteners as possible i can only glue one piece per day per part... got 2 more sections on today.
ImageImage
drhill wrote:there is a huge car show in High River September 24. It is an annual event and has over 1000 vehicles. Last year there were 3 teardrop trailers there and lots of interest in them. So this year we figured lets book a group campsite for Fri and Sat, Sept 22 and 23 and make it a gathering and show and shine. Should be a lot of fun. Look for the facebook group "Canada West Teardroppers" for details. Post back here if you have trouble finding it.

Thanks! I joined and saw the info about that.

dancam
500 Club

Postby dancam » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:41 pm

Hey guys, another question for you. I posted this in the waterproofing wood thread but i think thats the wrong section. Anyway, So i made a huge mistake on my tongue box. Had everything test fitted great, took it apart, spread the glue on, my wife handed me the piece back and we glued it on upsidedown.... i dont think i can take it apart to redo without wrecking the whole thing. No idea how we didnt notice. This piece is rotary mohogany because its wider than 5ft and i didnt want to do it in 2 pieces with baltic birch. So far my experience with the rotart mohogany is that the rough back layer is not attached to the core as well, splits, splinters and delaminates way easier than the good side.
So my question is will 'the mix' fix that? I know it wont make it smoother, but will it prevent the splintering and delamination? This top should see no rocks hitting it from the wheels.
Here are 2 photos of it and the urethane i bought. It was $45/gal instead of $75 for the name brand stuff. Anyone used it before?
ImageImageImage
I see now i bought spar varnish and not urethane, looks like i gotta return it and spend the money on the urethane.

dancam
500 Club

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques