looking for some pointers...

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: looking for some pointers...

Postby edgeau » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:09 pm

Go for the tabs and have it all powder coated so you don't have to drill and expose steel to rust. As for building off the trailer it is only needed if you don't have the height in your garage to accommodate. That was not a problem for me so I can't give you first hand experience on that. Mine was built to be removable but was built on the trailer. One trick I have seen others do is remove the wheels and have the trailer sitting on a lower Dolly until finished then they roll out, jack up and put the wheels back on.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:15 pm

I see lots of builds done off the trailer. How/what is the best way to get the wood on the metal frame? Links?

Do you mean how to load the cabin onto the chassis or how to bolt it down?

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Louisd75 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:26 pm

SkyNerd wrote:Great idea on the hitch receiver!!

As of right now I’m looking at a 10x5 3” channel flat bed with a 3.5’ neck, 2 rear trailer jacks, 3500# axle, electric brakes, and upgraded bulldog hitch.

$1080 out the door

I’m still waiting on additional pricing to add the mounting tabs (do I need them?), a propane holder and I’ll have to add the rear receiver hitch.

Even with all that I don’t expect to pay more the $1300 ish and I think that’s an amazing price for a trailer built to spec. .

- Jes

PS I see lots of builds done off the trailer. How/what is the best way to get the wood on the metal frame? Links?

I would recommend the tabs. It's easier to add them now than it is to do it later, and tabs do make it easier to attach the floor and such. The rear receiver hitch is a great idea. Also, something else to think about is are you planning on using jack stands or not, and if so, what kind? It would probably be easier to do that during the frame construction stage than it will be afterwards.

Can't help with building the teardrop off of the trailer, I built mine on the frame.

As far as a bare bones interior, take a gander at my build thread (it's linked in my signature or search "Rough Road Raindrop"). I started with shelves with a lip in the cabin and not much more. All of our stuff is in duffel bags that sit on the foot of the bed when we're driving down the road, we put them on the shelves when in camp. Even my galley was just a couple of storage cubbies that everything fit into. Things are evolving and being fine tuned as we use the trailer, but it has been handy to have an empty space to start with to see how things would actually shake out.
Louisd75
Teardrop Master

Postby SkyNerd » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:52 am

Louisd75 wrote:

I would recommend the tabs. It's easier to add them now than it is to do it later, and tabs do make it easier to attach the floor and such. The rear receiver hitch is a great idea. Also, something else to think about is are you planning on using jack stands or not, and if so, what kind? It would probably be easier to do that during the frame construction stage than it will be afterwards.

Can't help with building the teardrop off of the trailer, I built mine on the frame.

As far as a bare bones interior, take a gander at my build thread (it's linked in my signature or search "Rough Road Raindrop"). I started with shelves with a lip in the cabin and not much more. All of our stuff is in duffel bags that sit on the foot of the bed when we're driving down the road, we put them on the shelves when in camp. Even my galley was just a couple of storage cubbies that everything fit into. Things are evolving and being fine tuned as we use the trailer, but it has been handy to have an empty space to start with to see how things would actually shake out.

I’ve decided to go with the tabs and electric breaks. The Trailer frame setup is as follows:

10’x5’ 3” channel with 3.5’ neck
3500lb axle with electric brakes
Two rear corner leveling jacks
Mounting tabs
And 2” rear hitch receiver

Price comes in at about $1220

I plan to do the same things with the I the cabin and galley storage areas and fine tune as we go. It’s good to hear you did the same thing. I agree the open space offers a lot of flexibility while we figure out what our configuration needs will be.
I’m squaring away a couple details with the manufacture and should be placing my order this week! Hope to be teardrop camping by spring break!

- Jes
Last edited by SkyNerd on Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
SkyNerd
Teardrop Inspector

Postby redbicycle » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:24 pm

I think you will be very happy with that trailer. As soon as you receive your trailer you are ready to build!
redbicycle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby SkyNerd » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:53 pm

New Note.pdf
(669.57 KiB) Downloaded 104 times

Finally drew up some rough plans for the trailer. Sticking with the bare bone shelves for the time being and still looking at the possibility of Three bunks in the front vs one double bunk. Over all I think this will get the job done. As far as materials go, I’m leaning towards a 2x2” frame with some foam insulation, 1/8” birch skinning interior and filling exterior gaps with great stuff, sanding, smoothing and doing a poor mans fiberglass exterior. I’m playing with the idea of painting the lower 2 ish feet with chalkboard paint and letting the kids decorate it before and during trips. The camper will be garaged except while on trips so I’m not worried about it getting weathered.

I have a whole 100watt solar setup I’be been camping with for a couple years now and it works great and will be an easy transfer to the trailer.

Still considering an AC unit. Wall units are cheap, but Phillips makes a nice AC/Heat pump split unit that’s very attractive, whisper quite interior unit with a low dB external unit, but a steep $700 price tag. I might save that for the next build. We’ve never camped where we really needed heat or AC and I’d hope the insulation and a good fan will keep us covered.

I put the final details on the trailer frame this weekend and the order goes in next week. I’ve got a couple buddies I can’t talk out of helping me so looks like I’ll have plenty of hands on the project I hope to be camping by late spring early summer.

Feel free to share any criticism on the design, I’ve been knee deep in google images, tnttt.com, and Pinterest looking for ideas, as much as I’d like to have plans to follow my needs are just unique enough that it needed somewhat custom plans. I’m open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

- Jes
SkyNerd
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques