Air conditioner cover

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Air conditioner cover

Postby daneyuleb » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:52 pm

My little home built has a small window unit sticking out the front (17 x 14 inches high, sticks out about 7 inches). I bought a little fabric cover and installed snaps. It holds, but it's getting pretty ratted out by the wind, and water gets in when traveling while raining. I need something better.

Just wondering if anyone who's got a similar situation has any suggestions. I was hoping maybe a standard shroud made for a top unit could be found to fit over it permanently, but so far no luck (I was thinking if it was big enough to give an inch or two on each side, and the vent opening was at the bottom, I could leave it on all the time.

Barring that--I guess a wooden box is the way most people go, but just wondering what other people have come up with by way of materials to withstand the wind---and if any one has some nifty one that easily lifts or slides off or swings down I could steal ideas from before I start working on it. Or even a source for purchasing one if such a thing exists...

-Daniel
Attachments
camper_plate.jpg
camper_plate.jpg (73.57 KiB) Viewed 613 times
daneyuleb
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Air conditioner cover

Postby KendaldaCosta » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:20 pm

You might be able to get a tinbasher (sheetmetal worker) to fabricate a box for you with flanges on it. Adhere some rubber gasket to the flange to keep water out and secure it to your trailer with wing nuts. Just a thought off the top of my head.
Attachments
IMG_6312.JPG
IMG_6312.JPG (302.86 KiB) Viewed 538 times
Kendal
KendaldaCosta
Teardrop Builder

Re: Air conditioner cover

Postby daneyuleb » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:21 am

Thanks! Getting a metal shop to do it is a good option. I wonder what something like that would cost?

I'm leaning for something that doesn't require removing it . Opened bottom, like those plastic shrouds you see on top of RVs with enough clearance on the sides to allow the little a/c to ventilate.

I see a lot of small air conditioners on camper fronts, but not seeing much on how they protect them from the rain/wind when driving.
daneyuleb
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques