New to building and have some questions

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

New to building and have some questions

Postby Twalt87 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:48 pm

So I just welded up my own trailer frame and am in the process of collecting materials for the structure.

Im most likely going to have several questions as i go so ill just dump them all in this post as i go.
First question is about my material, I'm planning on building it out of 1/8" maple plywood and glassing the whole works. I will build my own doors and put in windows.
Is maple a good choice? I was thinking maple exterior and mahogany interior.

Second question - Am i able to build the exterior and get it fully glassed and sealed so that i can use it as i build the cabinets and shelves on the interior as i go? or does the interior need to be done before i glass the exterior?
Twalt87
Teardrop Inspector

Re: New to building and have some questions

Postby tony.latham » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:32 pm

Is maple a good choice? I was thinking maple exterior and mahogany interior.

I assume you're using sandwiched wall construction? Have you located 1/8" maple plywood?

I really like 1/4" plywood subfloor. It's much higher quality than 1/4" ACX fir and looks much better. And it's cheap:

https://i.imgur.com/Eb4L5ez.jpg

I use the inside-out build method and construct my galley counter top to go through the rear bulkhead to form the bottom shelf that will be above the foot of the bed. It's much easier to do as much as you can before you install the roof.

I've built from the chassis up... and I have also built the cabin on dollies and mounted it on the trailer later. I very much prefer the later. No stumbling around the tongue and wheels.

:beer:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Twalt87 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:54 am

Yea I have located maple plywood. The store near me has maple birch oak and mahogany. They have red Cedar too but at an outrageous price.

I was going to do the sandwich walls, with insulation in between.

I know it would definitely be easier to build the interior the way you did but is it possible to do the interior after the whole thing has been glassed? I'm fine of it's a bit harder to fit stuff.
Twalt87
Teardrop Inspector

Postby working on it » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:22 am

Twalt87 wrote:...I know it would definitely be easier to build the interior the way you did but is it possible to do the interior after the whole thing has been glassed? I'm fine of it's a bit harder to fit stuff.
  • I built my exterior structure of 3/4" plywood, with no insulation, nor anything inside (except for my on-board generator in the galley. No interior, no wiring, no windows...just a completed shell. I did finish the exterior, with multiple coats of polyurethane and acrylic enamel paint over it, and with doors and hatch mounted with all the requisite hardware. I did it that way, so I could bring it home from the 50 miles distant shop where I began the build, to my own garage (the completed coatings on the exterior were for protection when I transported it home, and for possible outside placement, if I didn't have a garage bay cleared for its' arrival).
  • completed exterior to move home.png
    completed exterior to move home.png (461.94 KiB) Viewed 2659 times
  • Even though my construction methods, fit and finish were rudimentary, as compared to most TDs and TTTs, it was what I thought was needed at the time. But, as simple/crude as my exposed wiring and hardware were, it was still a real challenge to design and build the interior, having to make hundreds of entries/exits thru my doors to complete the interior (especially, when making modifications as to fit and finish of already-mounted parts, inside). And, just painting the inside was tough, using brushes/rollers overhead to paint the ceiling, surrounded by heater (it was very cold at the time) and paint tray beside me. I used high-VOC paint, so the fumes were really bad, though I used a cheap vapor mask, that didn't filter much. Finishing my galley/storage area, and installing my A/C and ducting wren't as difficult, standing outside the galley, but anything inside the cabin was painful, as my knees and back were starting to go.
  • If I were to build a complete replica of my squareback TTT today, I'd probably paint the interior before the roof went on (painting both sides prior to mounting the roof/ceiling), but after that, I'd still have to build outside-in, due to the way I mounted everything inside the cabin, relying on the rear bulkhead and front wall/doorframes to hold interior parts (the intersection of sidewalls to front and rear walls was the main structural support for many heavy items). My now-bad knees and back wouldn't like it, so it would take me twice as long as it did before, 5-6 years ago. Using unusual materials and re-designing as I went, veering way-off my planned design, made that the only way I could build it, then or now.
  • shelves need four-wall support.png
    shelves need four-wall support.png (476.29 KiB) Viewed 2659 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:09 am

I know it would definitely be easier to build the interior the way you did but is it possible to do the interior after the whole thing has been glassed?

It just depends on your build. I have glued in my top shelves after the ceiling is in. But it's prefabbed and the supports for it are all ready to go. I put a headboard in that is mortised into the walls... so that has to go in when setting the walls.

So it depends...

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Twalt87 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:24 pm

Adding to my on going questions. For those of you in Canada. Where have you been getting parts for your builds? Im trying to source windows and the hatch hinge. I swear everything I order from the US to Canada ends up costing more in duties then the part itself(at least it has been with my truck).

I'm undecided on going with a sink/stove combo or just getting a small sink and a kuuma stainless grill. Thoughts?
Twalt87
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:04 pm

I'm undecided on going with a sink/stove combo or just getting a small sink and a kuuma stainless grill. Thoughts?

I think a sink is a waste of cabinet space (and the plumbing is a greater waste underneath it). We usually clean our cooking gear on the stove with a minimal amount of water. Silverware gets cleaned during the same process. The paper plates get thrown in a garbage sack unless we have a campfire.

For us, the stove is the heart of the galley. Slide it out, open the lid, snap the piezo and we're cooking with gas. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:00 pm

tony.latham wrote:

I think a sink is a waste of cabinet space (and the plumbing is a greater waste underneath it). We usually clean our cooking gear on the stove with a minimal amount of water. Silverware gets cleaned during the same process. The paper plates get thrown in a garbage sack unless we have a campfire.

For us, the stove is the heart of the galley. Slide it out, open the lid, snap the piezo and we're cooking with gas. :thumbsup:

Tony

quite simple really

we use large stainless steel bowls(we have 3) for wash n rinse on burner top

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby RTD » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:21 am

I have some different thoughts on the build. Don't know how far along you are at this point in time, but if you want take a look at my build on You tube and see if anything looks like you could use it. Now granted my teardrop is larger than most so I can fit more things in.

https://youtu.be/hhWhHEzjTVI
RTD
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Twalt87 » Mon May 28, 2018 9:30 pm

We got our template cut out. I'm ok with the shape, my wife is torn.

What do you all think? Looking good or does it look odd.
Image comes out huge when I post it. I'll just post the link instead.
https://i.imgur.com/beEYhz5.jpg
Twalt87
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ottsville » Tue May 29, 2018 6:53 am

Not my favorite shape, but there's nothing wrong with what you have there. It is probably one of the easier shapes to build with that is not square corners. What concerns does your wife have?
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby Graniterich » Tue May 29, 2018 8:54 am

I prefer a more gentle slope for the rear, more traditional look

Sent from my A1-840FHD using Tapatalk
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby Twalt87 » Tue May 29, 2018 11:22 am

Shes just not sure how she feels about the shape. Had her heart set on the full rounded tear drops, but this is already pushing our woodworking skills.

This was the easiest build with the most room I could do. If I brought the rear slope into the center more and had it come down closer to the bottom of the rear would it look odd with tee tall flat front? If d you don't ge what I'm asking I can draw it
Twalt87
Teardrop Inspector

Postby daveesl77 » Tue May 29, 2018 3:03 pm

Your design is similar to our Conch Fritter and we love it. The curves look good, but the extra space is really nice, believe me. A true teardrop would be more aerodynamic, but it doesn't matter that much.
6 months of build compressed to 2.5 minute video

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby nay nay » Tue May 29, 2018 7:41 pm

daveesl77 wrote:Your design is similar to our Conch Fritter and we love it. The curves look good, but the extra space is really nice, believe me. A true teardrop would be more aerodynamic, but it doesn't matter that much.
6 months of build compressed to 2.5 minute video

dave

I love your trailer! Great job. I love the design and in particular the way you do your galley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nay nay
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques