Challenger Door - 805 series teardrop trailer doors

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: Challenger Door - 805 series teardrop trailer doors

Postby Andrew Herrick » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:29 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:I notice they also advertise cargo doors for campers. Has anyone here priced one? I imagine they are about as much as the regular teardrop door, but I also suspect the make/buy cost difference is about the same. If they aren't too expensive, Shelly and I may consider one for the forward cargo space in our teardrop design.

Tom

Just a little update for anyone interested:

Basic cargo doors from Challenger Door are quite inexpensive. But by the time you order a cargo door the size of a teardrop door, order the 1.5-inch thick version and choose the upgraded hinge and handle hardware, you're within ballpark range of a finished teardrop door, which comes with a window you couldn't possibly buy for less. So, unless you're willing to order a 3/4-inch-thick cargo door with no frills, I might recommend sticking with a conventional teardrop manufactured door.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Re: Challenger Door - 805 series teardrop trailer doors

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:30 pm

Andrew Herrick wrote:
Tom&Shelly wrote:I notice they also advertise cargo doors for campers. Has anyone here priced one? I imagine they are about as much as the regular teardrop door, but I also suspect the make/buy cost difference is about the same. If they aren't too expensive, Shelly and I may consider one for the forward cargo space in our teardrop design.

Tom

Just a little update for anyone interested:

Basic cargo doors from Challenger Door are quite inexpensive. But by the time you order a cargo door the size of a teardrop door, order the 1.5-inch thick version and choose the upgraded hinge and handle hardware, you're within ballpark range of a finished teardrop door, which comes with a window you couldn't possibly buy for less. So, unless you're willing to order a 3/4-inch-thick cargo door with no frills, I might recommend sticking with a conventional teardrop manufactured door.

Thanks Andrew. Guess I never followed up on this thread. We bought two passenger doors and three cargo doors from Challenger for our teardrop. We plan a cargo space in front for our Climate right AC and other storage. Two of the cargo doors will access the space from the sides and one from the front. When running the AC, we'll leave the front door (which has a gas strut and is hinged on top) open for ventilation.

Hoping the front door won't get too banged up by rocks and such; Wayne's build (pictures above) convinced us to try.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques