Challenger Door - 805 series teardrop trailer doors

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Challenger Door - 805 series teardrop trailer doors

Postby Esteban » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:22 pm

I'm considering buying two 805 series teardrop trailer doors from Challenger Door: http://challengerdoor.com/ . Their doors are made to order, not stocked in inventory. They often make 26" wide x 36" high teardrop trailer doors with 15"W x 24"H vertically opening windows. In January 2018 Jason at Challenger Door told me 26W x 36H doors would probably cost $265/each plus shipping.

Ordering (805 series) teardrop trailer doors directly from Challenger Door seems to be less expensive than buying manufactured doors from other suppliers and offers an opportunity to have them built in custom sizes and/or with customized features. They need about 10 working days to build a door. Allow another week get the door(s) shipped it to you.
Contact Challenger Door

I'm 6'4" tall. I'm considering having Challenger make two 32"W x 39"H doors so I don't bump my head entering or exiting the cabin. They may cost $300/each plus shipping.

Before making an order I'd appreciate feedback/experience from anyone who has bought or is using Challenger 805 series teardrop trailer doors. How good are they? Please share your experience with their positive or negative features.

In particular, how good are the window stops of the 15W x 24H windows? The window stops look like they're made of plastic which makes me wonder how secure (and long lasting) they are?

Last edited by Esteban on Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Re: Challenger Door - 805 series teardrop doors

Postby Andrew Herrick » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:38 pm

Esteban,

Speaking as the guy who made the "How to Install ..." video ...

Obviously, I'm biased, but I do I like Challenger Doors. I've looked into other manufacturers, some of which wanted two or three times as much for their doors, and I just couldn't see major quality differences between the two. I haven't had any issues with leaks, warping, discoloration, etc. It's pretty easy to customize the size and style of door you want, too. The main thing is to get the rough opening the correct size. If it's too small, even by a little, you'll have to use a strong shoulder to muscle the door closed.

I do partially share your concern about the window stops. I thought the same thing when I saw them. So far, no issues - but my campers aren't 10 years old yet, either. Someone else can chime in there.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Re: Challenger Door - 805 series teardrop trailer doors

Postby Esteban » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:00 pm

Thanks for your timely positive feedback Andrew. :thumbsup:
Andrew Herrick wrote:Esteban,

Obviously, I'm biased, but I do I like Challenger Doors. I've looked into other manufacturers, some of which wanted two or three times as much for their doors, and I just couldn't see major quality differences between the two. I haven't had any issues with leaks, warping, discoloration, etc. It's pretty easy to customize the size and style of door you want, too. The main thing is to get the rough opening the correct size. If it's too small, even by a little, you'll have to use a strong shoulder to muscle the door closed.

I do partially share your concern about the window stops. I thought the same thing when I saw them. So far, no issues - but my campers aren't 10 years old yet, either. Someone else can chime in there.

Stacy from Challenger Door recently emailed me that when you provide them your actual (rough out) door cut out size they will build the door(s) slightly smaller to fit into the opening.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:39 pm

:thumbsup: Challenger Door has a new web page for ordering teardrop trailer doors: challengerdoor.com/teardrop-trailer-doors

They have photos of teardrop trailers with installed doors. After seeing the photos I'm leaning toward ordering doors with radius corners at the top and square corners at the bottom...like the doors on the Flyer or Armageddon teardrop trailers.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Andrew Herrick » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:50 pm

Esteban wrote::thumbsup: Challenger Door has a new web page for ordering teardrop trailer doors: challengerdoor.com/teardrop-trailer-doors

They have photos of teardrop trailers with installed doors. After seeing the photos I'm leaning toward ordering doors with radius corners at the top and square corners at the bottom...like the doors on the Flyer or Armageddon teardrop trailers.

I like the lower thresholds, too. Easier to slide in and out of, especially if you position the bottom of the entry door above the top of your mattress.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby Esteban » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:52 pm

Andrew Herrick wrote:
I like the lower thresholds, too. Easier to slide in and out of, especially if you position the bottom of the entry door above the top of your mattress.

Andrew, was this a typo? Do you really like to position the bottom of an entry door above the top of a mattress?

That would seem to be uncomfortable.

People here often suggest positioning the bottom of a teardrop entry door about half the way up to the top height of a mattress so you don't discomfort/pinch your legs while entering or exiting a teardrop, or while sitting in the doorway.

The availability of customized Challenger entry doors, with square corners at the bottom threshold, seems like a good choice to make entering or exiting a teardrop trailer a little easier compared to manufactured doors with radius corners at the bottom.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Andrew Herrick » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:26 pm

Esteban wrote:
Andrew Herrick wrote:

Andrew, was this a typo? Do you really like to position the bottom of an entry door above the top of a mattress?

That would seem to be uncomfortable.

People here often suggest positioning the bottom of a teardrop entry door about half the way up to the top height of a mattress so you don't discomfort/pinch your legs while entering or exiting a teardrop, or while sitting in the doorway.

The availability of customized Challenger entry doors, with square corners at the bottom threshold, seems like a good choice to make entering or exiting a teardrop trailer a little easier compared to manufactured doors with radius corners at the bottom.

Yes, that was a typo. You are absolutely correct; you don't want the door threshold above the top of your mattress. You get bruised hamstrings that way!
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:49 pm

I notice they also advertise cargo doors for campers. Has anyone here priced one? I imagine they are about as much as the regular teardrop door, but I also suspect the make/buy cost difference is about the same. If they aren't too expensive, Shelly and I may consider one for the forward cargo space in our teardrop design.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby DWT77 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:09 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:I notice they also advertise cargo doors for campers. Has anyone here priced one? I imagine they are about as much as the regular teardrop door, but I also suspect the make/buy cost difference is about the same. If they aren't too expensive, Shelly and I may consider one for the forward cargo space in our teardrop design.

Tom

I purchase this door from Challenger 42.5x16 (which was custom made) for $55.00 but they charge for packaging $25 and shipping $40. That combined cost more than the door. It was one of those decisions make my own, counting my time plus parts or just order it

Here is a little more info on the door I ordered.
You can get extruded hinge or piano.
601 series door Black on black. (Black door and black frame)
The outside flange dimension of the frame is. .75". So our over all outside dimension adds 1.5" to the rough opening you cut into your box.
So the RO 42.5x16. Making the overall measurement including flanges 44x17.5

You can choose different locks/latches
Latches:
You can go with a nice Slam Latch. That one is our most inexpensive latch at $15. A door 36 inches or wider would require two of them. That latch however sticks into the unit box and inch and a half once closed. If that's an issue going with a standard key lock with a thumb turn would work just fine and combined are only $8.

Last edited by DWT77 on Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby DWT77 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:18 pm

For the cargo doors on the side of my trailer. I just searched ebay (Try RV Cargo doors or Fifth Wheel Cargo doors) and found some that would fit for my cargo area underneath my teardrop. Then I just cut the hole to match the ones I purchased.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... s&_sacat=0

Here is a better view of my cargo doors on the side

DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:03 am

DWT77 wrote:
Tom&Shelly wrote:I notice they also advertise cargo doors for campers. Has anyone here priced one? I imagine they are about as much as the regular teardrop door, but I also suspect the make/buy cost difference is about the same. If they aren't too expensive, Shelly and I may consider one for the forward cargo space in our teardrop design.

Tom

I purchase this door from Challenger 42.5x16 (which was custom made) for $55.00 but they charge for packaging $25 and shipping $40. That combined cost more than the door. It was one of those decisions make my own, counting my time plus parts or just order it

Here is a little more info on the door I ordered.
You can get extruded hinge or piano.
601 series door Black on black. (Black door and black frame)
The outside flange dimension of the frame is. .75". So our over all outside dimension adds 1.5" to the rough opening you cut into your box.
So the RO 42.5x16. Making the overall measurement including flanges 44x17.5

You can choose different locks/latches
Latches:
You can go with a nice Slam Latch. That one is our most inexpensive latch at $15. A door 36 inches or wider would require two of them. That latch however sticks into the unit box and inch and a half once closed. If that's an issue going with a standard key lock with a thumb turn would work just fine and combined are only $8.

Oh, that's not an unreasonable price at all! And thank you, Wayne, for the link to e-bay. We will probably do as you did, find a standard size and design around it.

Thank you for sharing your research!

Tom and Shelly
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Re: Challenger Door - 805 series teardrop doors

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:53 pm

Andrew Herrick wrote:Esteban,

Just received two passenger doors and three cargo doors from Challenger. (Details in our build thread-- viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70278&start=60 .)

Thanks everyone for your advice. Thanks for making the install video Andrew! Just reviewed it, and will look at it again before installing the passenger doors.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby KTM_Guy » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:41 pm

Timely that this got bumped up. I’ll be giving them a call tomorrow.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:26 pm

KTM_Guy wrote:Timely that this got bumped up. I’ll be giving them a call tomorrow.

Todd

Calling them is the way to go. We tried email first, with no response. After the phone call there was a follow-up question emailed from them (Stacy), and a promised completion date which they met. Takes about a week to ship UPS ground.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:06 pm

Ours are Challenger as is the galley hatch. The factory is a Mennonite Amish partnership. I had a problem and they fixed it. The first two with grandchildren. The flush with the floor is a much appreciated feature.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques