Installing fixed windows

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Cary Winch » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:27 pm

Dave,

I guess my response is the same as Rob's. The channel seals really well but a horizontal plane could be another thing all together. The silliest little thing like a small notch in the lexan edge could cause it to leak.

I would suggest a experiment with something like Rob's suggestion with the Sikaflex urethane. Other urethanes might work too. The urethanes are what they use to glue in car windshields. We use this stuff all over the place, a couple of different brands including the Sikaflex. The advantage I would see to gluing it flush rather than setting it in a channel is you won't have the lip to hold water. Using the channel you will have a small lake sitting on the glass just asking to find a leak.

Cary
Cary Winch
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Cary Winch » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:28 pm

"Using the channel you will have a small lake sitting on the glass just asking to find a leak. "

Of course that might be pretty cool, it would feel like you are under water or something.

Cary
Cary Winch
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby angib » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:16 am

Cary Winch wrote:"Using the channel you will have a small lake sitting on the glass just asking to find a leak. "

Of course that might be pretty cool, it would feel like you are under water or something.

And once the small lake had found the leak, it really would feel even more like you are underwater......

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby DestinDave » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:56 pm

That's what I was afraid of... thanks for the opinions and advice... Being underwater is a cool thing but not while I'm trying to sleep. :)
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Re: Installing fixed windows

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:24 pm

this site came out in 2005 has the industry changed any ..... new improvements?

Ron Dickey
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques