Hatch Masters

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby len19070 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:50 pm

I got beat up by spring back for a long time. Now I use 2, 2 1/2X 3/4" side vertical ribs and 4, 5/4 X 2 1/4" Horizontal. Never have spring back. I even make the hatches up ahead of time and they always fit.

How? By eliminating the materials that cause The spring back.

FRP Has very little if any Spring back. 1/8" Laun or Masonite white board that has been rolled into a "C" shape and hosed down once a week for the last 2 or 3 months has very little spring back. .040 Aluminum that has been rolled has no spring back.

Using a trunk latch at the bottom of the Hatch also eliminates the bad things spring back does.

FRP is the best. Its ready to go, and is the finish on the inside of the hatch, it extends out past the hatch to land on the outside walls of the tear, Your aluminum can be glued right to it making the overhang on to the sidewalls 1/16" FRP + at least .032 Aluminum on a curve, very strong. Your angle, no matter what your using can be pre bent to have no spring back and Rivited right to the FRP & aluminum.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Jim Marshall » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:53 pm

Dean, I hadn't thought about which to attach the seals to but you have talked me into attaching it to the hatch, that is one thing that would not be good if one of the grand youngens pulled it off or poked holes in it.

Len, I have been out of the wood working business for a living, for a while now and I don't know what FRP is. :oops:
I started out with nothing and I still got plenty left.

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Postby jje507 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:08 pm

FRP = Fiberglass Reinforced Panel
I used it to cover my entire Tear And i love it.
easy to work with and looks good too.
jeff
jje507
Silver Donating Member

Postby Jim Marshall » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:12 pm

Jeff, are the FRPs expensive and can you get them in 5X10 sheets and 5X8 sheets? What do you glue them on with? Do you have a link to the panels?

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Postby len19070 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:12 am

Jim Marshall wrote:Len, I have been out of the wood working business for a living, for a while now and I don't know what FRP is. :oops:

Jim
The official definition for FRP is Fiberglass Reinforced Panels. You see it all the time in McDonalds bathrooms. There are 2 different kinds, interior & exterior. The RV industry uses it a lot, or did for sides & roofs. At Home Depot a 4X8 is about $30. It does come in larger sizes. I'm sure someone will chime in here with a web site on it soon.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Jim Marshall » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:23 am

Thanks Len, I know what you are talking about now. I appreciate it my friend.

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Postby Micro469 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:23 pm

len19070 wrote:
Jim Marshall wrote:Len, I have been out of the wood working business for a living, for a while now and I don't know what FRP is. :oops:

Jim
The official definition for FRP is Fiberglass Reinforced Panels. You see it all the time in McDonalds bathrooms. There are 2 different kinds, interior & exterior. The RV industry uses it a lot, or did for sides & roofs. At Home Depot a 4X8 is about $30. It does come in larger sizes. I'm sure someone will chime in here with a web site on it soon.

Happy Trails

Len

http://www.kemlite.com/index.asp

How about this site?
:thumbsup:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Jim Marshall » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:10 pm

Thanks for the link Micro. I didn't realize it was the same thing as Filon until I checked out your link. I appreciate you taking your time to post it for me.

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Postby Jim Marshall » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:15 pm

I have another hatch question, I have read where some have used a stainless steel piano hinge for the hatch, instead of the hurricane hinge. Are there a down side to the piano hinge for the hatch?

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Postby Hardin Valley Magic » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:20 pm

Jim, I used a piano hinge on mine the tricky part was getting it to seal. However, after many different trys I finally found the right combo.
If I was to do it over again I would go with the simple solution and buy the hurricane hinge. :oops:
aka Steven D.
Hardin Valley Magic
Donating Member

Postby Micro469 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:31 pm

Hardin Valley Magic wrote:Jim, I used a piano hinge on mine the tricky part was getting it to seal. However, after many different trys I finally found the right combo.
If I was to do it over again I would go with the simple solution and buy the hurricane hinge. :oops:

Well now that you have given us so much information... :lol: , do you want to tell us what the right combo is??
:thinking:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Hardin Valley Magic » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:46 pm

Sure John. When screwing the upper section of the hinge down I used an exterior door jam seal under it and plenty of paintable silicon.the "V" groove will be pinched between the hatch lid and the top. Also I used strips of rubber self adhesive strips on the hatch where it will seal against the V groove door seal.
This is a pain in the backside when your tring to do this AFTER the hatch is installed.
Another lesson: plan, plan, plan. Always plan ahead. Gees one of these days I'll learn. :lol: Probably not though.
Tommorrow i'll try and get some close up pics for you. There is a side view in my gallery of the hinge area but you can't see everthing well.
aka Steven D.
Hardin Valley Magic
Donating Member

Postby Jim Marshall » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:35 pm

Thanks Steve, after reading your post I think I will go with the hurricane hinge. :) I had thought about using a bicycle innertube under the piano hinge. The reason I didn't want to use a hurricane hinge was I read where they slide side to side when driving. Metal to metal will wear out sooner or later. Thanks again buddy.

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Postby Gage » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:51 pm

Jim Marshall wrote:<snip> The reason I didn't want to use a hurricane hinge was I read where they slide side to side when driving. Metal to metal will wear out sooner or later. Thanks again buddy.

They don't slide so much that it will cause wear. But it is good to add a plug or screw to one of the ends to limit the movement.

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Jim Marshall » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:11 am

Thanks Gage, that puts my mind at ease.

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques