Hatch Masters

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby JohnF » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:00 pm

I posted earlier that I was fighting a spring-back problem. I received and installed this morning two draw latches (part #TC-341 from www.Reidsupply.com) and that solved the problem. The latches pulled in the bottom that was mis-matched by about 7/8-ths of an inch.

I was going to install some small ones anyway, but these 341 units (Austin Supply cat. page 571) are really beefy and probably worth the money.

John
JohnF
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:20 pm

Hi all.
A little late getting in here but did anyone decide what to glue FRP to? I went shopping today and the 1/4 ply and 5.2 luan didn't seem very bendable. I am working alone so :worship: It would be nice to hide the upcoming boo boo's.
Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Gage » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:28 pm

Miriam C. wrote:Hi all.
A little late getting in here but did anyone decide what to glue FRP to? I went shopping today and the 1/4 ply and 5.2 luan didn't seem very bendable. I am working alone so :worship: It would be nice to hide the upcoming boo boo's.
Miriam
Your right. Why do you want 1/4" ply. Won't 1/8" be just as good and bend a lot easier? If not, them I'm in trouble, because with the exception of my sides, I used 1/8" every where else.

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby len19070 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:14 am

Miriam C. wrote:Hi all.
Miriam

I use frp as an inside finish to my hatch, and the other side of it as a surface to laminate my aluminum to. frp has NO spring back. I use either formica contact cement or silicone as a glue. I don't cut the frp off at the end of the hatch ribs but extend it to the outside edge of the trailer. This gives a hatch a thickness of frp + .032 aluminum as a hatch edge. At that point any corner molding can be fassened to it. On the curve this is very thin & very strong.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques