Hatch Masters

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Hardin Valley Magic » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:06 pm

O.k. Dean here it is over build of the week.
I used 14 thats right 14 pieces 3/4 thick doubled up with 2x2's between them with a 2x2 piece at the top and a solid 2x2 at the bottom.
No spring back just heavier made than it shoulda been. :lol:
aka Steven D.
Hardin Valley Magic
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:21 pm

HVM,

That's a hatch after Dean's own heart... What better to go with an over built trailer than an overbuilt hatch... Sorry guys, I couldn't resist... :lol:

It may be heavy, but it's certainly not going to flex. But you'll need heavy duty hatch supports. I would definitely consider gas shocks, so you don't rupture a disc every time you try to open it.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:28 pm

mikeschn wrote:HVM,

That's a hatch after Dean's own heart... What better to go with an over built trailer than an overbuilt hatch... Sorry guys, I couldn't resist... :lol:

It may be heavy, but it's certainly not going to flex. But you'll need heavy duty hatch supports. I would definitely consider gas shocks, so you don't rupture a disc every time you try to open it.

Mike...

...yeah, some 150# ones at that :lol: ;) ........................................ 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Hardin Valley Magic » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:29 pm

Yeah thats what the better half says too. It became my duty to be the one to open the vault door. :lol:
As for struts still don't havem but am planning on them.. Extra heavy duty!!
aka Steven D.
Hardin Valley Magic
Donating Member

Postby Boodro » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:51 pm

HVM , aaahhh ... mabye some good ol Monroematic air shocks would be the ticket??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby s4son » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:21 pm

Hardin Valley Magic wrote:O.k. Dean here it is over build of the week.
I used 14 thats right 14 pieces 3/4 thick doubled up with 2x2's between them with a 2x2 piece at the top and a solid 2x2 at the bottom.

That should help keep the tongue weight down! :bounce:

Scott F.
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby Jim Marshall » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:27 pm

Looks like we will be staring on our hatch next week. I have a couple of questions, how much clearance should I have between our outside ribs and the inside of our side? Does anyone have a link to the gas hatch supports?
I started out with nothing and I still got plenty left.

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Postby Hardin Valley Magic » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:00 pm

aka Steven D.
Hardin Valley Magic
Donating Member

Postby Jim Marshall » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:05 pm

Thanks Steve, don't know why I didn't remember that but I didn't. :oops: I have looked at the Generic Benroy plans a bunch of times but just forgot. I really do appreciate you posting the link.

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Postby Hardin Valley Magic » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:09 pm

Any thing I can to help with the "Vol-N-Tear" !! 8)
aka Steven D.
Hardin Valley Magic
Donating Member

Postby Gage » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:14 pm

JohnF wrote:I built my Cubby's hatch with horizontal spars and thought I had it perfectly fitted to the frame...but I now have spring back. <snip>.
Yep that's what happens when there is nothing to hold the shape. The ply is always going to want to straighten out.
JohnF again wrote:Since spring back seems so darn common there must be some generally agreed-to method of getting out of a bad situation.
What do you recommend?
Spring back is only common with those who don't listen and insist on building thier hatches with only horizontal spars. The way I built my (but not rule) 5'wide and 4'high hatch with a constant curve in it, was basicly the frame work in the tear. Then I took it to the work bench (after applying about 5 or 6 screws to hold the exterior skin to the frame) and applied all the remaining screws. That first skin was only a temp skin that was on the tear for two years. The current skin is glued with some alum twist nails. When it was finished on the work bench, I took and just placed it where it should go and it fit perfectly just laying in place. So easly a hatch can be built with no problems or spring back.

Have a good day & good luck on which ever way you decide to go.

8)
P.S. You can see the way I built mine on page 12 of my build site. http://www.gages-56.com/tear12.html?
Last edited by Gage on Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:15 pm

Hardin Valley Magic wrote:O.k. Dean here it is over build of the week.

Yaaa!!! :applause:
Now we're loggin!!! :awesome:
That looks great!!! :thumbsup:

Jim,
I don't know if there is a set rule on clearance from sidewall to rib...
I'm still debating that one myself... I wanna put some snaps on the sides of the outer ribs, so I can snap on side wall flaps when the hatch is open, but I need to think about the strike lengths on the latch too. I might run a dado and have the snaps reccessed, so I don't need to have as much clearance... Just haven't made up my mind on that one yet. I just know that putting them on the side of the rib would be a good place, because they wouldn't show when the hatch is closed.

Postby Gage » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:38 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote: <snip>
Jim,
I don't know if there is a set rule on clearance from sidewall to rib...
I'm still debating that one myself... I wanna put some snaps on the sides of the outer ribs, so I can snap on side wall flaps when the hatch is open, but I need to think about the strike lengths on the latch too. I might run a dado and have the snaps reccessed, so I don't need to have as much clearance... Just haven't made up my mind on that one yet. I just know that putting them on the side of the rib would be a good place, because they wouldn't show when the hatch is closed.

Dean, have at least a 1/4" gap on both sides and you'll have no problem. You'll find the the hatch will move side to side in travel just a little bit. And if you have it flush to the sides, you'll still be able to open it but when it comes time to close it. Well I'll let you figure out that part. But now if you use a piano hinge, that won't happen. Also I suggest you add end stops to the hurricane. Think your snap location out. It's a good idea but could cause problems.

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Jim Marshall » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:06 am

Thanks fellows, I really do appreciate your input. I just want to do it right the first time so I won't have to do it over.

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Postby Gage » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:34 am

Jim Marshall wrote:Thanks fellows, I really do appreciate your input. I just want to do it right the first time so I won't have to do it over.

Look at it this way. If you don't do it right the first time and have to do it over. It could be concidered something learned that day. Lately it's been very difficult learning something new every day. For me anyways. :lol:

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques