Slide-off pod, continued

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Slide-off pod, continued

Postby Billinthedesert » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:47 am

The more I think about this, the more I am convinced I need to build a pod that can be removed from the trailer, allowing me to use the trailer for utility stuff. That leads me to consider building a bed for the trailer of 5/8 or 3/4 plywood, thoroughly painted with The Mix and then painted underneath with one of the black goos. The pod floor, then, would be 5/8 or 3/4 ply treated with The Mix as well, and bolted on at four to six points when mounted on the trailer. What with two layers of ply then making up the floor, I'm looking at 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches of plywood underneath the cabin interior, and cannot see a real need for insulation at this point except in the coldest places -- and I am in the desert. Anyone see any holes in my thinking?
Billinthedesert
Teardrop Builder

Re: Slide-off pod, continued

Postby Ottsville » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:52 am

I'm not a fan of plywood for a trailer deck for utility usage especially if it will be stored outdoors. I prefer PT 2x material but your plan sounds reasonable and may be the best way to go if weight is a concern.
Ottsville
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:00 am

Anyone see any holes in my thinking?

If you need insulation in the floor of a teardrop, your mattress is too thin ––one man's opinion.

The Mix is great for sealing out water but you'll still need something to protect the wood from the sun if it will sit outside. A good oil based paint will suffice.

The reason Henry's black goo is popular is that there wasn't much of a choice forty years ago. Now there is. Epoxy or the mix is a much better alternative assuming it's an exterior grade plywood. (No OSB.)

Water is going to be drawn through capillary action between the two layers of plywood. Make sure the floor of you "pod" is well sealed and you may want a grid of drain holes in your bottom ply to mitigate.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby ae6black » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:28 pm

I built 7 or so years ago just like you're considering. My utility trailer has treated plywood 3/4 in thick on it's deck. This is my 2nd treated plywood of this thickness to be on my deck in about 35 years. I always paint it but you wouldn't need to. My unit a TD has plastic skids attached to the bottom to make it easier to slide in and out right on top of the plywood deck. Four or six bolts down through the sheet of plywood are all that hold my TD in place on the utility trailer. Don't take it off as often as I used to now that I have a truck, but still comes off when I have to move something heavy that won't fit in the truck. To each their own. When you don't have much room to park a bunch of trailers, having one multi use is an option. Nothing fancy about my removal or mounting of the TD. I just slide on and off with a couple of come alongs once the unit has been unbolted from the deck unto a frame that I built for this purpose. When I don't need the frame I take it apart and store it in the garage. Takes about an hour to take off or remount. Most of that time is spent taking the mounting bolts off, since they have a tendency to oxidize. A screw gun makes quick work out of assembling my storage frame.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby Billinthedesert » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:12 pm

Tony, thanks for the thoughts on capillary action and providing for drainage -- and for floor insulation vs. mattress thickness. I am still thinking through what role epoxy might play in my build.
Art, I'd like to know more about the plastic skids you used. I was halfway thinking of gluing on some gallon milk jug plastic in a few strategic places on the bottom of the pod to provide just a bit of lubricity.
Billinthedesert
Teardrop Builder

Postby noseoil » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:02 am

1/8" X 4' X 8' HDPE sheet for a bottom panel?
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Billinthedesert » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:14 am

I like your thinking, sir.
Billinthedesert
Teardrop Builder

Postby ae6black » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:42 am

I just bolted plastic "deck boards" sold at Lowe's to the bottom of my frame. Nothing fancy, but it works. I probably could have just used 2x4 treated on the bottom but I tend to overbuild. Instead of airplane, I built a tank because of the bending pressures that I thought I'd encounter every time I winched the thing off my trailer. I believe now, I could have just used a foam sandwich with just as much success. to each their own, my unit has served me well over the years and I continue to use it.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques