Slide-off pod, continued

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: Slide-off pod, continued

Postby Tigris99 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:13 pm

As for the topic, the plastic impregnated wood gave me an idea.

PLASTIC DECK BOARDS!!!!
Got some homework to do now, that may have just solved my dilemma. I was thinking some kind of plastic on the bottom of the "pod" so its protected when on the ground and provides support for the floor.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby noseoil » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:26 am

You might look into the 1x material. It's lighter & will suffice for skids. Use 4x4 or 6x6 material to set the camper on to keep it off the ground for stickers, or you may get some bottom-rot if you're in a wet climate.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KTM_Guy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:49 am

Tigris99 wrote:
LostCajun wrote:
Tigris99 wrote:
KTM_Guy wrote:I talked to my insurance guy about doing this, more for getting a life time utility plate over having to buy RV plates yearly.

He said not a good idea. First the law is clear in AZ if you can sleep in it (bed) it's a RV. Needs RV plates. Chances of getting pulled over for it are probably slim. But if you do you'll probably end up with a ticket and court date. Then you need to sell it to a judge that you are hauling a camper in your utility trailer.

The other thing was with the insurance company if you had a claim.

He said just know if you do it there could be a lot on headaches down the road.

Just something to think about.

Todd
this is why mine is being built as an enclosed with windows. Because I'll be hauling my mountain bikes in it for trips. Since the "bed" is nothing more than some form of matress on the floor it stays as a utility trailer.

Different states different stuff....

In TN, less than a certain length, no matter what used for...even my boat trailer....only thing a trailer needs is air in the tires and working lights, no title, no registration, no nuthin....crazy stuff....even my 6x12 box trailer.....not needed....but, I have mine as it does make it easier to sell to someone who is out of state....TN has us print off a page from their website with the state law, to carry on out of state trips.....paraphrasing.....this won't stop an out of state cop from giving you a ticket for no lic plate.....but, you win in court.
funny thing is that technically an officer can be reprimanded for issuing such a ticket as it's technically illegal. If your vehicle meets your home states laws, states you visit can stop you but if you prove on site that you are in compliance with your home state laws, legally they are required to let you leave without a ticket.

Rarely if ever is that truly challenged as most cant afford the time to got back to said state to appear in court so they pay the ticket. Thus boosting revenue for state/county/city.

I have done it before when I had to deal with a new county officer thinking he was high and mighty. Got pissed when I turned around and called county dispatch requesting the commanding officer for the shift.

It's a federal law. Just like states have to honor any court orders issued in another state.

Yeap I like to push those issues cause I dont tolerate officers being douchebags, especially with the number of area officers I grew up with and so on. I know better so I show respect but use my rights if one starts being rediculous.

Good points. More people need to know the law and stand up for themselves.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby edgeau » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:08 am

Check out my removable.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t
Different concept but might give you some ideas

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:06 am

More people need to know the law and stand up for themselves.

There is no federal law that mandates a state recognize another state's vehicle laws. There is something called the Beamer Resolution that allows states to create reciprocity agreements. That's why Montana (for example) recognizes an Idaho drivers license and vehicle registration. (And no, those states don't recognize each other's fishing licenses!)

https://legalbeagle.com/7480058-states-reciprocal-driving-laws.html

If you're driving through a neighboring state with a mandatory license plate law, don't be shocked if you get pulled over. It'd probably be a good idea to download your appropriate state law and stash it in your trailer.

:thinking:

I'll not whine about registering my next teardrop. It's a pain in the ass but trailer theft is a thing.

:frightened: :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:33 pm

tony.latham wrote:There is no federal law that mandates a state recognize another state's vehicle laws. There is something called the Beamer Resolution that allows states to create reciprocity agreements. That's why Montana (for example) recognizes an Idaho drivers license and vehicle registration. (And no, those states don't recognize each other's fishing licenses!)

That makes economic sense. If a state lets someone from another state (or Canada, for that matter) bring their camper into that state, the out-of-staters are liable to spend money in that state on camp grounds, food, etc. However, a state wouldn't benefit from letting someone use an out of state fishing license.

Of course, road accidents are an economic loss, as well as a tragedy. Makes sense on a number of levels for a state to want to ensure out of state trailers are safe. On the other hand, a reputation for hassling out of stater's would be bad for the tourist trade too.

I suspect most laws, and their implementation in practice, are rooted in these economics. Yes?

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Tigris99 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:23 pm

tony.latham wrote:
More people need to know the law and stand up for themselves.

There is no federal law that mandates a state recognize another state's vehicle laws. There is something called the Beamer Resolution that allows states to create reciprocity agreements. That's why Montana (for example) recognizes an Idaho drivers license and vehicle registration. (And no, those states don't recognize each other's fishing licenses!)

https://legalbeagle.com/7480058-states-reciprocal-driving-laws.html

If you're driving through a neighboring state with a mandatory license plate law, don't be shocked if you get pulled over. It'd probably be a good idea to download your appropriate state law and stash it in your trailer.

:thinking:

I'll not whine about registering my next teardrop. It's a pain in the ass but trailer theft is a thing.

:frightened: :frightened:

Tony
US constitution Article IV "full faith and credit clause". Applies to everything including motor vehicles.

But as I had said you MUST BE ABLE TO PROVE your legal in your home state.

They can try but if seriously challenged they loose and officer CAN get into trouble.

The only "issues" arise with cars themselves with non-factory add ons because most states laws arent very clear cut.

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby edgeau » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:23 pm

Wow. Sounds like a legal mine field over there. Here in Australia if a trailer has plates from one state it is legal in all. The idea of doubling up one trailer behind another is not allowed anywhere for recreational use. The only rigs that can do that are the large "Road trains" a prime mover like a Mac truck with up to 4 of the 18 wheeler type trailers behind it.

edgeau
500 Club

Postby Tigris99 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:02 pm

edgeau wrote:Wow. Sounds like a legal mine field over there. Here in Australia if a trailer has plates from one state it is legal in all. The idea of doubling up one trailer behind another is not allowed anywhere for recreational use. The only rigs that can do that are the large "Road trains" a prime mover like a Mac truck with up to 4 of the 18 wheeler type trailers behind it.

doubling up is only legal in a few places.

If you have plates on a trailer your fine everywhere. But if you live in a state that doesnt, other states like to be a pain in the ass sometimes if you dont have plates. Just like some states require titles and others dont.

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby LostCajun » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:26 pm

edgeau wrote:Check out my removable.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t
Different concept but might give you some ideas

I took a look at your removable concept, and I am actually thinking about something similar as a possibility for raising the front of the 'pod', as I will have reinforcement in the front overhang with the integrated cabinetry, I could vision lifting the front up with a bar wider than the whole pod, while at the same time lifting the rear with small overhang and then pulling the trailer out the front from under it.

Quite a lot of interesting build ideas from yours.

Craig
Building a teardrop or reasonable facsimile thereof
Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=70932
LostCajun
Teardrop Advisor

Postby edgeau » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:10 am

LostCajun wrote:[

Quite a lot of interesting build ideas from yours.

Craig

That's one of the great things about this forum : feeding creativity with inspiration from what others have done. I have got a lot of ideas from looking at others build jounals too.
edgeau
500 Club

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques