Anodize or not

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Anodize or not

Postby Sonetpro » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:28 am

I am ordering my aluminum and think I am going to order anodized. It costs 25% more but I think it would weather better. I frequent the beach alot. Any thoughts?
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby SteveH » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:27 pm

I think it would weather better also...especially at the beach! :thumbsup:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby WarPony » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:28 pm

I was reading on anodizing and when aluminum is anodized, it makes it surface hard. I don't know if it would weather any slower or not but if you are planning on using anodized trim I would think making bends is really going to be difficult. I suppose you could anneal it for the bendy parts but then you'll just be wasting money for anodizing by annealing it and taking the hardness out. I guess it just depends on what you are using it for.
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby angib » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:05 pm

Warpony,

Anodising only affects the very surface layer of the aluminium - about 0.1mm (4 thou). It doesn't seem to make it any harder to bend - and the anodising doesn't seem to crack when the aluminium is bent.

There is a separate process called 'hard anodising', which can only be a sort of browny grey colour, that is a lot harder than normal anodising, but it's still only a very thin layer.

Steve,

The only downside of anodising is that any marks that you do get will be pretty much impossible to repair or cover up.

This is unless you start cheating - making black anodised aluminium boat masts, we were plagued by tiny little handling scratches that showed up. We used to deal with them with 'instant anodiser'. Now, to an amateur, that would look like a black felt-tip marker - of course, that was just a handy case in which to keep our trade-secret instant anodiser....... Honest.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby WarPony » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:32 pm

angib wrote:Warpony,

Anodising only affects the very surface layer of the aluminium - about 0.1mm (4 thou). It doesn't seem to make it any harder to bend

Ah, I didn't know that. I figured it was like pie crust....... if it bends, it breaks.
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Sonetpro » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:45 pm

From what I read on SAF when they process it it actually becomes part of the metal.
Quote from site.
"What is anodizing?
A coating of aluminum oxide is grown from the aluminum by passing an electrical current through an acid electrolyte bath in which the aluminum is immersed. The coating thickness and surface characteristics are tightly controlled to meet end product specifications. "
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques