Sealing my trim screws - 3M 5200 no good, too permanent???

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: Sealing my trim screws - 3M 5200 no good, too permanent?

Postby Bob Hammond » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:14 pm

I'm renovating an Airstream that has a mere 4000 rivets. I've used SikaFlex 221 for the vents and awning rails, but I've switched to Sashco Lexel, a crystal clear solvent release sealant for rivets and cracks that show. It adheres well to most everything except a soapy finger, has a 400% stretch capacity, and can be cleaned away with paint thinner. The instructions say that it can be applied to wet surfaces too, down to freezing. It comes in a squeeze tube ($6) or a caulking gun tube ($9).
Curator
Museum of Unfinished Projects
Bob Hammond
Teardrop Master

Re: Sealing my trim screws - 3M 5200 no good, too permanent?

Postby cfiiman » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:28 am

I think I found what I"m going to try after a lot of research. This seems to be literally the "perfect" sealant for this application. Has anyone used this before? I called and spoke to DAP customer service who said it is considered permanent but as a sealant that would need mechanical scraping to remove. He used the scenario of putting a bead between 2 2x4's and then pulling the apart after it cured. He said it would pull apart and not take the wood with it where the 3M 5200 (and possibly 4200?) would. I asked if he new of 3M 4200-5200 and how it compared. He said he knew both of those were focused more on adhesion then sealant and that theirs was focused more on sealant then adhesion. I think this is more what I'm after. I believe this is just a super strong caulk which is perfect for the application because it has much more adhesion then regular sealants/caulks but I would guess less than 4200. Does anyone have any thoughts on this stuff, I don't mind being the guinea pig, and I love the fact that it dries clear to boot!:

http://www.dap.com/dap-products-ph/auto ... e-sealant/

cfiiman
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques