How wide is your trailer with a queen bed?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

How wide is your trailer with a queen bed?

Postby lacofdfireman » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:33 pm

Currently building a trailer and my plan all along has been to build it for a queen bed. So I’ve got the trailer frame built and my axle mounted and tires put on and was surprised to find out that my outside tire to outside tire measurement is 87”. For some reason I was thinking it was going to be about the same as my Jeep JK width at 78”. I’m 11” over what I anticipated. Now I can narrow this by about 3” as I have 3” between my frame rail and the bulge of my tire which I think is also to much but really I can only gain 1.5” per side so I’m still going to be wider than my Jeep. It’s not a huge deal and maybe something I should have thought about before setting on a queen bed but maybe that’s the trade off here.

Just curious as to what some of your wheel width are on your trailers? Am I way to wide”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lacofdfireman
Teardrop Master

Re: How wide is your trailer with a queen bed?

Postby tony.latham » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:51 pm

The cabin is 60" wide. 58 3/4" inside and yes, the foam queen sits in there just fine. The chassis is 59 1/2" wide to allow the bottom trim to ride outside the frame. Dunno about the total width.

:beer:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby lacofdfireman » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:27 pm

tony.latham wrote:The cabin is 60" wide. 58 3/4" inside and yes, the foam queen sits in there just fine. The chassis is 59 1/2" wide to allow the bottom trim to ride outside the frame. Dunno about the total width.

Tony

Very nice. If you get a chance I’d be curious what your outside tire width is. Thanks.

lacofdfireman
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:30 pm

lacofdfireman wrote:
tony.latham wrote:The cabin is 60" wide. 58 3/4" inside and yes, the foam queen sits in there just fine. The chassis is 59 1/2" wide to allow the bottom trim to ride outside the frame. Dunno about the total width.

Tony

Very nice. If you get a chance I’d be curious what your outside tire width is. Thanks.

She's 83". I built a clone of her about three years ago for a wedding gift. That axle was either 1 or 2" narrower.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:31 pm

I've had a queen sofa sleeper mattress in Rose before. She's 5 wide.

Currently using a full size futon mattress, giving a little space on each side to tuck in bedding and such.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:00 pm

Ok Fireman,

On my trailer I took off 5" on the queen size mattress to 55".
Outside measures 65"
Max width is 76".
Note, that my fenders covers only about half the wheel width, and the other half is a thin wheel well inside the teardrop.

Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby KTM_Guy » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:54 pm

When I was planning my build I read all kinds of stuff to try the keep the trailer tires to track in the TV wheels. (For off-road use) I couldn't see how that would work unless you were building 48" wide. So I know our twin sleeping bag uses two 20" sleep pads so we can sleep in 40" okay. I looked at some mattress sizes and a full is 54" wide and they make a Xtra Long at 80". That would work for us and started from there and designed the tear around the mattress. At overland expo I was talking to a guy with a teardrop and the thing he said he hated about it was it had a queen mattress (60" wide) squeezed into 58". It was a pain to put sheets on and the blanket couldn't be tucked on the sides so it alway would get pulled off. So I gave myself an extra 1.5".

I am still building my frame so don't have a hard number on the total width but should by this weekend. I only have about 1" from the tire to the camper side wall. I would be happier with 1.5". I'm going to build my fenders to handle a 1.25" spacer if I need it. I might be able to get away with a 1/2" spacer. My wheels are stock 17" Rubicon with the 6.5" backspace, If you have wheels with 4.5" backspacing that could be where you are gaining and extra 4" on your total width.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby lacofdfireman » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:08 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies. I’m wider than I thought I was going to be but I think it’s still going to be fine. I’m nowhere near the 102” legal limit and while I am wide it will work for our intended purpose. We are not hard core off roaring this and it will go anywhere we need it to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lacofdfireman
Teardrop Master

Postby Esteban » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:22 pm

I'm building a Benroy(ish) teardrop that will be about 86" wide from the outside of one fender to the outside of the other. The outside of the cabin & the roof will be 64" wide. The inside of the cabin will be 61.5" wide. The trailer frame is 61" wide.

A 60" x 80" queen sized mattress will easily fit inside the cabin with a little extra room to tuck in the sheets and blankets. A 58"L x 26"W (160 watt) solar panel will be mounted across the roof.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby WolfeDen » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:11 am

Outside to outside for me is 64 with a full 60 inside. Still in process of building. Axles are narrower, and I will cut the mattress to fit around.

If I do another build I will go 6 wide. Cutting ply and foam for 64 wide leaves odd leftover lengths and that bugs me. I think it would be less waste with a 6 wide. Yes I am neurotic.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
WolfeDen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Bob Hammond » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:34 pm

The Nutmeg is 60" inside width, and 66" outside - very near the width (& height) of my Subaru Forester. The length inside the cabin is ~88", and the depth of the galley is ~12"
Attachments
happycamper.jpg
happycamper.jpg (591.85 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
Curator
Museum of Unfinished Projects
Bob Hammond
Teardrop Master

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:24 pm

Sparksalot wrote:I've had a queen sofa sleeper mattress in Rose before. She's 5 wide.

Currently using a full size futon mattress, giving a little space on each side to tuck in bedding and such.

BTW, Rose is 60.5 inches outside. 57.5 inches inside.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques