Doors no longer fit??!!??

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Doors no longer fit??!!??

Postby cfiiman » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:33 am

Hey all,

Just wanted to see if this was normal. After skinning the trailer with aluminum finally and flush trimming the doors and windows I went to FINALLY reinstall the doors and windows last night. Low and behold, the doors do not fit. It looks like I need to cut almost 1/8-1/4" off of a couple of the corners on both doors to get them in. This baffles me, they fit just fine a couple months ago. Now I understand about expansion/contraction, and my garage is very hot and humid but would it really move this much? I plan on shaving the top radius corners today to get them to fit (windows fit fine by the way which is why I think the doors not fitting is really odd). It wasn't just one side, it was both, and didn't matter which door or which way I put them in (tried reversed, upside down, etc.) Just wanted to know if this much expansion/contraction on 3/4" birch ply is normal? Doors were snug when I put them in a couple months ago, but easily went in. The few coats of spar varnish wouldn't have built a high enough layer to cause this either. Thanks for any knowledge.
cfiiman
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques