What do you like for stabilizer jacks?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

What do you like for stabilizer jacks?

Postby lacofdfireman » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:28 pm

What do you like for rear stabilizer jacks for an off road trailer. Not interested in scissor style either as they cut down on my clearance and also typically don’t go low enough. Looking for more of a jack style. Do you have any you prefer? I’d also like something that can show out of the way pretty well if possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lacofdfireman
Teardrop Master

Re: What do you like for stabilizer jacks?

Postby KTM_Guy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:19 pm

I went with the 31" BAL "C" Jacks. I haven't measured but I would guess 2.5" tall when closed. Will easy lift the tear to remove a tire. I have two on the back and will be working on mounts to add two the the front this weekend.

With the manual hand crank they go up and down quick, I can also use a cordless drill and it's real fast.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby Esteban » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:08 am

I use two BAL Light Trailer Stabilizing Jacks model #23026 (for a pair with a crank handle) that can be extended 19" downward. Each jack points/extends ~45 degrees outward from the rear (they face the corners) which provides extra stability. You can use the supplied hand crank or a battery powered drill motor to extend or retract them.

Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Ottsville » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:48 am

I have seen scissor jacks with a piece of 1" square tubing on top and a piece of 1.5" tubing on the bottom of the trailer as a receiver so they could be removed.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby KennethW » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:29 am

Never felt the need for stabilizer jacks. You don't walk around in a teardrop. Only time it really move is when getting in or out. I wonder how many people really use them?
Last edited by KennethW on Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby swoody126 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:32 am

though i don't have a pic of the OP's actual application(mounted on a teardrop or tiny trailer) i would offer the following as a suggestion

vms_trailer_sign_5_colour.png
vms_trailer_sign_5_colour.png (78.66 KiB) Viewed 2826 times

they mount on a pinned bracket(a round piece of heavy tubing welded to the side of the frame) that is virtually non-existant and/or can simply be rotated out of the way

they can be had w/ top or side cranks for varried application

and when removed n stashed elsewhere they will not reduce ground clearance or interfear with offroad travel

just a ponderance ;-)

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby swoody126 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:47 am

KennethW wrote:Never felt the need for stabilizer jacks. You don't walk around in a teardrop as only time it really move is when getting in or out. I wonder how many people really use them?

KW, most modern day "campers" would not likely need them since they only camp with their trailers parked on either graded or cemented pads and their wheels have been placed far enough back under the frame as to not have a balance issue

when camping off road, really off road, there are many times when a level spot is not an option and sleeping or cooking in/on an unlevel surface is not a friendly proposition

the jacks would eliminate the need to pile rocks or stack boards for leveling the suspension to provide a level sleeping/cooking platform

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby KennethW » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:22 am

Got it. You are talking jacks (not so much stabilizers). I will unhook and turn my TD until level side to side then us the jack to level head to tow when needed. I do see when off roading Jacks would be nice to have.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lacofdfireman » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:54 pm

KennethW wrote:Never felt the need for stabilizer jacks. You don't walk around in a teardrop. Only time it really move is when getting in or out. I wonder how many people really use them?

Well we put them on our last trailer and used them all the time. But we also used them as leveling from side to side. We had the crank up style that dropped straight down. Also we had a rooftop tent on top so you felt everyone moving around up there also. We plan on doing the same with this trailer. I was just curious if there were better options than what we used last time but I’m thinking we may just use the same type again for this build. You can kind of see in this pic my rear jack. I’m actually considering putting jacks on all 4 corners of this trailer. There were a few times where we camped in off camber areas that we had a single wheel all the way off the ground. I’d imagine that’s probably hard on the front jack.

lacofdfireman
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:02 pm

lacofdfireman wrote:What do you like for rear stabilizer jacks for an off road trailer. Not interested in scissor style either as they cut down on my clearance and also typically don’t go low enough. Looking for more of a jack style. Do you have any you prefer? I’d also like something that can show out of the way pretty well if possible.

My first teardrop was a commercially built (Hunter). Great little 'drop with rear stabilizers. I used them on the first two or three camps and found them to be a pain. Never used them again and I don't add them to my builds.

At least 80% of the time we boondock. We find a spot that is either level or close to it and we back onto leveling blocks. Quick and dirty.

They're not needed. Nobody is dancing in a teardrop. :thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby rkanz » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:22 pm

This is all is use on my TD. No need for stabilizers or jacks.

https://www.etrailer.com/Wheel-Chocks/A ... gLwu_D_BwE

rkanz
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ottsville » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:43 am

tony.latham wrote:

They're not needed. Nobody is dancing in a teardrop. :thinking:

Tony

With a RTT on top, I'd put them on. If you go with the removable/spin-able tongue jack, you might be able to put mounts in either side and use one jack, placing it on the low side.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby noseoil » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:43 am

We went with the folding ratchet-type, which got from about 12" to 17" when in the down position. They tuck up under the frame & can't be seen when not in use. The main reason for them is the air conditioner we run during hot weather. I wanted to be sure it ran OK & that the unit would drain properly out the front with condensate, if it was too muggy when it was running. With the tongue jack (2000#) & the 650# rating on each rear jack, we can level the trailer for sleeping pretty easily & it's quick. Also helps to elevate the head of the bed if you have acid re-flux.

Best use I have for this is at Bonneville in August for the racing. It was in the 90's during the day & the trailer would get pretty warm in the afternoon with full sunlight & no shade. With the air running, I could get the interior temps down into the 50's if I wanted to, then at night it would cool off well enough after sunset to be good sleeping weather. A half hour of cooling before sunset was all it really needed, but that 1/2 hour was time well spent.

The jacks take a bit of time to setup, but in some cases are worth the trouble. Usually, they aren't really necessary on a level spot, but if you're building from scratch & need to use them...

Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques