Window Source

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Window Source

Postby fornesto » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:18 pm

I built our trailer back in 2004 and bought windows from an outfit in Northern California, if memory serves me. Maybe, Redding. In any case, one of the windows was damaged beyond repair by a bear and I was hoping to replace it in kind, but cannot find the retailer that I used. Do any old-timers remember what the vendor was/is? Thanks.
fornesto
Donating Member

Re: Window Source

Postby Woodbutcher » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:05 pm

Maybe a picture and size description will help. Several companies sell the same windows. If you bought from Grant Whipp, he retired and closed out his stock.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Graniterich » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:36 pm

I can no longer find 18x15 awning windows any where. I think I got my first from Grant

Sent from my A1-840FHD using Tapatalk
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby fornesto » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:32 pm

I did buy it from Grant Whipp. That name sounds very familiar and, yes, it was a 15x18 awning window. I guess I'll be replacing both windows now. Unfortunately, the crank mechanism is wrecked and the screen is gone. It works as a window, but doesn't open, which is a bummer when it's hot out.
fornesto
Donating Member

Postby Graniterich » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:31 pm

Let us know what you replace with.

Sent from my A1-840FHD using Tapatalk
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby KendaldaCosta » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:43 am

You can get sliding Van windows through C.R. Laurence. I'm not sure if you can order directly from them, or if you need to get in touch with a retailer, but they are available and they have a distribution centre in L.A.

http://www.crlaurence.ca/crlapps/showli ... 2089&pom=0
Kendal
KendaldaCosta
Teardrop Builder

Postby EZ » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:29 am

While I have not purchased any windows yet, I am having some luck checking with truck topper companies locally. Most of the new toppers are fiberglass with slider windows, but they still may have replacement windows for aluminum ones which used the crank-out windows that we need. They are often 18" X 15".

Also look for shed windows. I have found some online that might work (for my standie). An example here http://www.atlanticshed.com/18x23CO.htm or http://www.shed-windows.com/Crank-Out-Shed-Window.html. A little larger but shows they are out there. Maybe they are too thick?

I found some 18" X 15" camper crank out windows for $65 at this website http://www.teardroptrailers.net/Aluminum_crank_out_window_18_x15_p/win%201815.htm but the pictures showed poor quality. I emailed the seller about that and he actually responded saying thanks for the insight but the website is being closed down. "Only 6 left!"

Never thought finding these windows would be so difficult and/or expensive.

Ed
EZ
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:40 pm

• I also bought my 18" x 15" crank out windows from Grant Whipp at 'Lil Bear, in May of 2013, after putting off the window decision for as long as possible. It was among the last major pieces added before my first nominal completion date, June 2013 (as you all know, they're never really completed).
  • I wanted a crank out, and actually wished for a jalousie-type, with multiple panes (for the old-school look), instead of a single pane, but chose the one I bought, mainly for its' smaller size, but also for its' darkened glass and blacked-out frame.
  • Previously, I was leaning towards the Atlantic Shed triple pane jalousie, but then I decided to buy the smaller size window for security reasons, and possible replacement ease with the larger size perhaps later on. i.e. Security: by having the window size small, and located high up away from incidental contact. Replacement: by using a smaller-sized opening at first, then opening up to a larger size later, in case no identical size is available (my A/C unit is the smallest case size, but in an area that will easily accommodate a larger unit, JIC).
  • As it turned out, the one I have now seems irreplaceable in that size, and configuration, so if ever I need to replace it, then the Atlantic Shed unit will work (with darkening film), or the Shed Window's piece will work (after a darkening and safety film is added - it's not tempered). The Atlantic one has a screen, not sure if the other does or not, but either will require an enlargement of my current opening.
  • possible replacement.jpg
    possible replacement.jpg (138.53 KiB) Viewed 2207 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby fornesto » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:50 pm

I ended up going the repair route with my window as only the crank mechanism was broken. The windows and cranks were made by Creation Windows, which is no longer in business. However, DCM Co. bought them out and has many of their parts. http://www.dcmco.com/ I was able to buy just the crank portion and will be able to swap it out for the old one.
fornesto
Donating Member

Postby UK-Corlett » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:14 am

If anyone from the UK is reading this thread. Our windows have to be automotive glass approved to 34R. Or you will not pass your IVA (Individual Vehicle Assessment)

Clive
UK-Corlett
Teardrop Master

Postby EZ » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:14 pm

Still searching :roll:

It is now time to design and build the walls of my tiny travel trailer, but having no idea what size the windows will be makes that impossible. I have struck out completely trying various sources for crank-out windows that are roughly 15' X 18". I really do not want to use sliders; not sure what people do with those when it rains (keep them closed I guess). Shed jealousie windows are a possibility (18" X 23") but I do not believe they are made with safety glass and I think that might be necessary.

Help! What are you people out there using for windows???? I 'm not the only one doing a build and needing small windows, am I? I am amazed that 15" X 18" crank-out windows are now "vintage". Awww Grant Whipp, where are you now........

Ed
EZ
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:36 pm

Help! What are you people out there using for windows????
:frightened:

Well... right now I'm looking at Vintage Technologies (WD02) 15" x 18" awning windows for my next build. The struggle I'm having with them is this in their description: Trim Ring: 3/4" reversible to 1" --and my door thickness will be 1.25".

I'm struggling to envision a reversible trim ring ––but I just asked about this with an email to them. If the installation is similar to their doors, I can make them work.

:thinking:

I'll share their response.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Andrew Herrick » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:54 pm

I've used Vintage Technologies, too. one of the few manufacturers/resellers who will sell teardrop-sized windows in small volume at affordable prices. I'd give a 4/5- rating ... had one problem with a 9x44 window, but it was replaced free of charge.

The thing to know is that the windows have a pretty small exterior flange, so your rough opening can't be off by much. Make a cardboard template and use that to trace your rough openings.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:30 pm

I've used Vintage Technologies, too.

Andrew:

Have you installed one of their Awning Windows?

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Andrew Herrick » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:51 pm

tony.latham wrote:
I've used Vintage Technologies, too.

Andrew:

Have you installed one of their Awning Windows?

T

One of the new ones? Have not.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques