Hurricane Hinge

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby grant whipp » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:24 pm

O.K., Gang ...

... time for me to chime in here! First, let's talk about DURABILITY of the "hurricane"-type extruded aluminum hinge: it's been a PROVEN durable leakproof hinge for over 45 years! I've worked on 1960 Scad-a-bouts with the original factory-installed "hurricane" hinge that still work perfectly (although just a little worn) and remain leakproof. What more could you ask for? Whether you get the type from R.W. Johnson (some people call it the original Hurricane Hinge, and I sold it in the beginning, which has a 1/4" offset that puts the hatch plane 1/4" above the roof plane) or you get my "better-than-hurricane" hinge (which has NO offset, a lower profile "crown", and actually is one of the first versions of the extruded aluminum hinge, going all the way back to pre-1960) doesn't really matter, except in overall asthetics. The end result is the same - if properly installed, you get a virtually leafproof galley lid hinge arrangement that you never have to worry about (at least, not for the next 45 years or so!).

Next, let's talk about bang-for-your-buck (US, Canadian, Euro, or otherwise): how much is your TIME worth? If you want to fuss around and replace the rubber/vinyl/or-other type membrane covering over/under a standard piano-type hinge every 2-5 years, by all means that's your call. If you want to experiment with un-proven plastic technology (and I'll be the first to admit that plastics have come a long way in the last 50 years, and the products continue to improve), then that too is your call (and you just might be able to count yourself as a pioneer in plastics-tech applications ... ;-} ;-} ...!). But, if you want to DO-IT-ONCE-AND-FORGET-IT, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone WOULDN'T want to install a "hurricane"-type extruded aluminum hinge. And yes, I do understand that there are some folks who just have to have something to "tinker" with ... ;-} ;-} ...!

Hurricane-type hinges have been the standard in the camper-shell/truck-top industry (for over 30 years that I know of) in rear-lift, side-lift, and cargo-door applications. It wasn't until recently, with growing popularity of the totally-smooth slick-n-seamless fiberglass models, that other hinge technology has been applied there - but most of us ARE NOT building totally-smooth slick-n-seamless fiberglass teardrops or TTTs. Matter of fact, if there is a camper-shell/truck-top builder anywhere close to you, chances are pretty good that you'll be able to walk in and buy a hurricane-type hinge for a reasonable price. Or if you're resonably clever, you can figure out a way to salvage the hinge from a damaged lift-door and adapt it to your application.

Let's be clear, though - I'm NOT saying that hurricane-type hinges are the ONLY (or even the BEST) way to go! What I AM saying is that they are the most PROVEN & RELIABLE way to go, especially if that is a paticular prioroty in the overall scheme of your trailer and camping plans. The initial cost MIGHT seem a little steep, but you'll be thankful for your INVESTMENT in the l-o-n-g run.

One final note about "hurricane"type hinges:
• Teardrop Fix-It Shop's hinge is NOT a "hurricane"-type - it is an extruded aluminum version of the original FORMED stainless steel hinges originally found on KIT Kamper teardrops. It is a good product, and may fit your needs perfectly.
• R.W. Johnson's hinge is, as I said above, sometimes called the original Hurricane Hinge, has the 1/4" offset, and is an excellent product that may fit your needs perfectly. It is also available from other sources, both on the 'net and otherwise.
• Li'l Bear's "better-than-hurricane" hinge has NO OFFSET, a lower "crown", and the design actually pre-dates the Hurricane Hinge by at least 10 years. It too is an excellent product that may fit your needs perfectly. It MAY be available from one or two sources who stock it for their own production use, but Li'l Bear (yeah, that's me) has the exclusive retail marketing rights from the mill (so sue me if I made a smart business move), must buy in quantity, and can cut the hinge to your specific needs (so much for my blatant self promotion ... ;-} ;-} ...!).

Bottom line, here, is that you should consider carefully what and why you choose for your galley lid hinge. "Hurricane"-types might NOT be what you ultimately end up with, and that's O.K.! Just please don't slam it or disregard it because you think it "costs too much", or you think it is un-proven or un-reliable. And as far as the "freezing up" goes, a little shot of silicon spray or WD-40 BEFORE it gets cold will solve that problem.

Good Luck, Everyone, with your projects! And, my apologies if I got a little long-winded! In the meantime ...

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Gage » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:08 pm

:applause: My hero. Hey Grant, you got soft rain rail molding? I need 2 pieces of 8'. Can you bring it down to Sweetwater? Do I need to remind you closer to that date? :lol:

Have a good day.

8)
We need Larry over here. :twisted:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:33 pm

Gage wrote:We need Larry over here. :twisted:

Larry is welcome to come and join us. We harbor no animosity here… :peace:

Mike…
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Mitheral » Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:51 pm

Grant Whipp wrote:<SNIP>Next, let's talk about bang-for-your-buck (US, Canadian, Euro, or otherwise): how much is your TIME worth?

Nothing, it's my hobby time
Grant Whipp wrote: If you want to fuss around and replace the rubber/vinyl/or-other type membrane covering over/under a standard piano-type hinge every 2-5 years, by all means that's your call.

Might be a good trade off at 1/3 the price.
Grant Whipp wrote:If you want to experiment with un-proven plastic technology (and I'll be the first to admit that plastics have come a long way in the last 50 years, and the products continue to improve), then that too is your call (and you just might be able to count yourself as a pioneer in plastics-tech applications ... ;-} ;-} ...!).

Someone has to try this stuff, god knows Bell labs or GE is never going to spend millions researching teardrops. :)
Grant Whipp wrote: But, if you want to DO-IT-ONCE-AND-FORGET-IT, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone WOULDN'T want to install a "hurricane"-type extruded aluminum hinge.

My experience dealing with one for ten years in freeze-thaw conditions has been negative, maybe a plastic style hinge will be better. Worth a try IMO.
Grant Whipp wrote:<SNIP>
Bottom line, here, is that you should consider carefully what and why you choose for your galley lid hinge. "Hurricane"-types might NOT be what you ultimately end up with, and that's O.K.! Just please don't slam it or disregard it because you think it "costs too much", or you think it is un-proven or un-reliable.
I'm not sure if this was directed at me but to be clear I wasn't slamming your or anyone else's product. My experience with this type of hinge has been negative but obviously many haven't had any problems. I'm willing to try something else. If it fails or I can't find something I like better I may even go with this style of hinge on my project. The price isn't out of line for the product ($4-5 a foot for a non-hollow extrusion is about what I'd pay locally in small quantities and your price includes shipping) but it is out of my budget for the function it provides. I won't be buying $400 windows, $1200 door assemblies, $500 fenders, $300 inverter and batteries, $100 side door hinges, a $250 sink, $100 door latches, $50 side marker lights, or $300 vents either. Not that I wouldn't love to have those things but it's not in the budget.

Besides I've got the tools and ability to mill dang near anything out of a piece of piece of wood. Making a substitute for a factory produced piece of kit is a challenge I enjoy. Until I found the plastic hinge in a search this is typical of what I was considering for my top hinge assembly:

Grant Whipp wrote:And as far as the "freezing up" goes, a little shot of silicon spray or WD-40 BEFORE it gets cold will solve that problem.

This hasn't been my experience unfortunately. On my truck wet snow can cover the hinge. When it partially melts water wicks into the hinge freezing it solid when the temperature drops again.
Mitheral
Teardrop Master

Postby Gerdo » Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:39 pm

I went with the Li'L Bear Beter than Hurricane Hinge. I think it is great. Well designed and should last a lifetime. I would deffinitly use it again. I ordered all of my "T: moulding at the same time. It costs what it costs to ship things. Not much that you can do about it.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby grant whipp » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:44 pm

Gage wrote::applause: ... Hey Grant, you got soft rain rail molding? I need 2 pieces of 8'. Can you bring it down to Sweetwater? Do I need to remind you closer to that date? :lol:

Have a good day.

8)
We need Larry over here. :twisted:

Hey, Gage!

Yep, I got it.
There's a good chance I can bring it to Sweetwater. I'm bringing a pair of fenders down for a customer, along with some other stuff, but I'm quickly running out of room in my Saturn ... ;-} ;-} ...
Yeah ... a reminder closer to my leave date (April 10) would be real helpful. Send that reminder to my [email protected] address ...

Lookin' forward to seeing everyone down there, again!

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby grant whipp » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:10 pm

Mitheral wrote:...I'm not sure if this was directed at me but to be clear I wasn't slamming your or anyone else's product.

Not to worry, Mitheral, NOT directed at you ... ;-} ;-} ...! This isn't the first thread that had delt with the dreaded Hatch Hinge question ... LOTS of people have questioned or poo-poo'd the idea of using hurricane-type hinges for all sorts of reasons (and to be honost, most of it HAS had to do with the cost), so I was just presenting my views on why they shouldn't, from the perspective of one who has been doing this stuff for a l-o-n-g time and has a genuine interest and caring that the effort that folks put forth on their teardrops is well rewarded and long-lived.

And don't get me wrong - I have-and-will continue to support and applaud those talented ones who want to try "something else" because they have the ability and tools to do so! That's part of the pioneering spirit that dwells in every teardropper!

Happy Trails! Let's get those Teardrops a rollin', shall we? And as always ...

CHEERS!

Grant
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Gage » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:27 am

Grant Whipp wrote: <snip>
Hey, Gage!
Yep, I got it.
There's a good chance I can bring it to Sweetwater. I'm bringing a pair of fenders down for a customer, along with some other stuff, but I'm quickly running out of room in my Saturn ... ;-} ;-} ...
<snip>
CHEERS!
Grant

I know of some good silver tape that will hold anything anywhere, even on the roof of a high speed car. :lol:

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Kevin A » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:32 am

Gage wrote:
Grant Whipp wrote: <snip>
Hey, Gage!
Yep, I got it.
<snip>
CHEERS!
Grant

I know of some good silver tape that will hold anything anywhere, even on the roof of a high speed car. :lol:

Have a good day.

8)

Yeah, but what's the rating? 90mph or 200mph.? ;) :lol: :lol:
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby doug hodder » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:52 am

Kevin....none of that matters if it doesn't hold up in the sun... ;) Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby critter » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:17 pm

hey grant,
or any other wood masters out there.im getting to the the stage of my build where im thinkin bout the hatch and hinge.ill be orderin from grant but will need help. will i need like a 1/4 gap between the last spar and the back of the hatch and do those hinges come pre drilled or do you have to drill em yourself, also should they be flush mounted or do you have to route out a place for them?any help would would help! :roll:
critter

salad anit food... its what food eats!

critter
critter
500 Club

Postby Gadget Man » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:17 pm

C-Mac

I started out planning to use Grants Hinge, but after a few e-mails back and forth, it was decided that my gap was to wide, or his hinge not wide enough, I had nothing left to screw too. So once again, on to Plan-B.
I went to Austins Hardware and bought a 3" hinge without holes, so I could do my own. I then got ahold of some "Rolled Rubber Roofing"
(Nice flat rubber) and made a gasket to lay under the hinge.
I drilled all my own holes just where I needed them. It turned out Great, and looks real "beefy". (Overkill's The Thrill)
One little tricky part was cutting the gasket 1/4 inch wider than needed,
and getting it stuffed back under the hinge so it was not stretched too tight when it's in the open position.
I then reordered the same hinge for my doors, and did the same rubber gasket again - worked great !!

Gadget Man
My kids may be smarter than me,
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby TomS » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:42 pm

I used Grant's hurricane hinge my tear. It was a bit more money. But, consider that it is a critical part. The cost of the hinge compared to the time and money invested in the project was a drop in the bucket. The bottom line is the hinge works, it doesn't leak and it won't wear out in my lifetime. I'd rather spend an extra $20 or $30 on an expensive hinge and not have to worry about my hatch hinge leaking all over my galley cabinets.

I also used Grant's 18" x 15" windows and love them too.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gerdo » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:25 pm

Same here. I used Grant's T moulding, windows, hinge.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mike pari » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:31 pm

check out the socal teardrop galley and door hinge www.socal teardrops.com mike
mike pari
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques