Where to put the vent?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Where to put the vent?

Postby Tomterrific » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:57 am

Plan on putting it over your head. I put my vent toward the rear of my trailer and regret it. If it was two or three feet further to the front the venting of our breathing would be lots better. We have a set of hooks to hold the doors open a couple of inches and this is the venting that keeps us comfortable at night. Otherwise our heads are up in a cave and the vent and Windows are at our feet. Learn from my mistake.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Re: Where to put the vent?

Postby tony.latham » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:03 pm

Tomterrific wrote:Plan on putting it over your head. I put my vent toward the rear of my trailer and regret it. If it was two or three feet further to the front the venting of our breathing would be lots better. We have a set of hooks to hold the doors open a couple of inches and this is the venting that keeps us comfortable at night. Otherwise our heads are up in a cave and the vent and Windows are at our feet. Learn from my mistake.

Tt

Can you add windows to your doors?

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:36 pm

Tomterrific wrote:Plan on putting it over your head. I put my vent toward the rear of my trailer and regret it. If it was two or three feet further to the front the venting of our breathing would be lots better. We have a set of hooks to hold the doors open a couple of inches and this is the venting that keeps us comfortable at night. Otherwise our heads are up in a cave and the vent and Windows are at our feet. Learn from my mistake.

Tt

Thanks Tom. As it happens, Shelly and I are thinking about that step right now in our build, so very timely advice! (We also have Challenger doors with windows for venting.)

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:01 pm

I put my fan on the flattest spot on the roof. It is a little far back. When I have the fan running backwards blowing air in you can feel more air more by your wait, I would like it more towards our heads. But with the door window open and the fan blowing out, I get a good air movement by my head.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby Tomterrific » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:43 pm

Having our doors cracked open is a real treat, otherwise there is no venting up by our heads.

I used a clever trick I found on this site. I put a screen door hook on the outside of the trailer and the eye on the inside of the door. The door can be cracked open and the hook holds it in place. I bent another heavy wire hook about 7 inches long to hold the door open even more. A screen curtain rolls down to keep out bugs.

I could devise a window for the doors but as yet I have not. I feel if I just put in a ceiling vent over our heads we would be happier. I've talked about fabricating a large vent to look up at the sky. That would be super.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:05 pm

I could devise a window for the doors but as yet I have not.

You couldn't use something like this in your doors?

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Andrew Herrick » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:59 pm

Yeesh. Thanks for letting us know, Tom. If windows aren't an option ... what about a deflector? Something (maybe made from bent aluminum) that redirects the incoming vent air to your upper bodies? I don't know if the air stream would reach that far, though ... :thinking:
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques