DIY Door trim out

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

DIY Door trim out

Postby wysedav » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:58 pm

I'm making my doors for my teardrop and wanted to get a consensus on what I'm thinking. Mostly I'm concerned with the trim I'll be using and how I'll seal the door up tight.
here's my plan, drawing is a bird's eye perspective.

Thanks,

David

door.JPG
door.JPG (90.71 KiB) Viewed 936 times
wysedav
Teardrop Advisor

Re: DIY Door trim out

Postby Pmullen503 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:27 pm

I think your gaps are a little tight.

Your door will expand and contract with temperature and humidity. Also after a few years (or less) door will start to sag at the hinges a little as they wear. At some point it will start to rub on your aluminum trim. I wouldn't go less than 1/4" gap on the top and sides after your trim is on. Water will eventually get past your seal so give it a place to drain.

I too have an inset style door and went to great pains to put a 5 degree outward slant on the sill to drain any water that got past the outer seal. 5 degrees wasn't enough and combined with a 1/4" gap, water would sit there by surface tension eventually water logging the bottom of the door. I planed off the door bottom and refinished it to a 3/8" gap which got rid of most of the problem. If I had it to do over again I would have gone with a 10 degree slant on the sill with a 3/8" gap at the bottom of door from the start.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques