Galley Construction Methods Experiences

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Galley Construction Methods Experiences

Postby FBJcreation » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:45 am

I am looking at the various methods for galley construction they seem to fit in about 3 general groupings.

1. Integrated Galley, using CNC or router to route the plywood exterior walls and galley pieces ahead of time and fitted together as one integrated unit of walls and galley pieces with glue and screws/nails. No framing is used, the walls and galley/interior pieces act as the frame and all fit neatly together with no extra wood used. Least amount of weight seems to be add this way, but a lot more planning, precision, and care are needed in making and fitting the pieces.

2. Built in place Galley after the walls are up and along with a few roof trusses, kind of like what you do for a house kitchen cabinetry. Some added framing is needed to hold the galley pieces in place to each other, walls, and floor. Amount of framing needed seems to be mixed depending on how the galley pieces are fit and designed. This seems easiest but limits working space. Could use some off the shelf products or custom built-in kitchen cabinetry methods in exchange for weight.

3. Build Galley first then add walls, etc around it. This seems to have as aspects of 1 and 2. Pieces can be routed and/or framed to fit together. It stands as its own substructure, then wall, etc are attached. Looks like it adds some weight but also some additional structure and ease of building.

I am leaning toward the last way as #1 looks trickier without a CNC and #2 looks more limiting in design and weight. What has been people experiences with using different ways in building a galley? Anything I should consider/reconsider or beware of? Thanks.
FBJcreation
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Galley Construction Methods Experiences

Postby 1960es » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:29 pm

I am on my second build and I did the third option the first time and the second option the second time....wait, that is kind of confusing. Anyway, on my next I will go back to option 3.
1960es
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques