Cutting Door Openings

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Cutting Door Openings

Postby powelly78 » Wed May 08, 2019 7:40 pm

Hi all,

I wrongly put my question in the build journal. - its had many views and no replies.

I cut a template out from a Kit profile I ordered online. -

I"m using pre made doors though, and I want to get the template right before I use a flush trim router to cut the pattern onto the good (expensive) plywood.

So, I'm really not happy with my first cut out on the door especially on the corners( I used a jigsaw ) , and I am really glad I am doing some testing templates on the crap plywood.

Does anyone have any tips on cutting the corners for the door cut out? the corner of these doors is actually a little proud of the straight area - when they bent the curves in the factory it pushed the curve out a little proud

And since these doors don't have an internal trim ring to hide any of my unscrupulous work........Id like to get it right.

I'm thinking of a tracksaw or circular saw with guide rail, for the straights, and maybe a router with a circle jig? ( cutting out the circles before the straights obviously )

What does everyone else use to cut the corners?

Any advice greatly appreciated. 158113158112158110158114
powelly78
Teardrop Builder

Re: Cutting Door Openings

Postby tony.latham » Wed May 08, 2019 7:52 pm

The norm would be to make a template out of 1/4” ply and use either a router bit with a top bearing or a spiral upcut bit with a guide bushing. If you close the latter keep the cuts limited to about a 1/4” depth.

T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby powelly78 » Wed May 08, 2019 8:29 pm

Thanks Tony,

I had not considered a separate template from the template, I'll use a compass to draw the arc, and maybe a router table to cut the template. :thumbsup:
powelly78
Teardrop Builder

Postby Pmullen503 » Wed May 08, 2019 9:08 pm

powelly78 wrote:...............

I'm thinking of a tracksaw or circular saw with guide rail, for the straights, and maybe a router with a circle jig? ( cutting out the circles before the straights obviously )

That's what I did with mine. Still have to clean it up with sanding. (I was not trying to save the cut out for the door.)
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques