Coroplast, zip ties, Gorilla tape, and EMT

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Coroplast, zip ties, Gorilla tape, and EMT

Postby ferbal » Sun May 12, 2019 5:30 pm

Last year I built a camper with a 3/4 EMT frame skinned in coroplast. It did 5k across the country and back with no issues. I am rebuilding it this year as I have a new tow vehicle so weight is less of an issue and there were some design short comings I wanted to address.

The actual successful real world use of the camper proved the viability of the build materials and the technique. As I have begun to deconstruct for the rebuild I would say that Gorilla Tape over coroplast is a rock solid paneling option.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using Tapatalk
ferbal
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Coroplast, zip ties, Gorilla tape, and EMT

Postby John61CT » Sun May 12, 2019 7:49 pm

The next Foamie? 8-)

Pics please
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby VTSteve » Sun May 12, 2019 8:18 pm

I calculated that the cost of Gorilla Tape alone is $4.14 per square ft.
My initial thought is that's kind of expensive.
VTSteve
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ferbal » Sun May 12, 2019 8:38 pm

Gorilla is only to waterproof seams and and holes were the zip ties fasten to frame.

ferbal
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GTS225 » Sun May 12, 2019 8:42 pm

I've been wondering about the viability of EMT for a framing material. A few years ago, I welded up a roof for my '23 T, using 1/2" EMT for the basic frame. Made some "plugs" to use as internal splicing unions, and using a quite low setting on the wire welder, was very successful at building a rather rigid frame for it.
Had a local guy install boat cover material over it. It worked out great. Light weight, too.
I've been mentally toying with a skeletal framework of 3/4", welded together, then glueing in 3/4" foam board, and covering it with PMF. I'm sure there would be a discrepancy between the conduit and the foam thickness, but I haven't explored that detail yet.
One of the reasons I like the 3/4" conduit is due to the fact that a number of clamp-on fittings can be had in the marine world. The tubing used for Bimini type boat tops is 7/8" diameter, and 3/4" EMT fall almost perfectly on that dimension. It would be quite easy to utilize those fittings for attached canopies, interior hangers for lighting, door hinges, dinette hatch, etc.
Ferbal, if you would be good enough to post a few pics during your deconstruction, I would appreciate it.

Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby ferbal » Sun May 12, 2019 9:00 pm

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?p=1229269#p1229269

That should link to my build documentation. 3/4 EMT works great. I was hesitant to use it at first until I found some redneck airboat site where they were using 3/4 EMT to build frames for the air boat engines after watching that I decided it was durable enough for a camper.

ferbal
Teardrop Advisor

Postby friz » Sun May 12, 2019 9:46 pm

I think the clc design would lend itself to a coroplast zip tie build. I would not make the galley accessible front the outside. I would cut holes in the bulkhead to make it interior storage. All the curves could keep it rigid without a frame. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby greygoos » Mon May 13, 2019 6:07 am

Try this thread viewtopic.php?f=55&t=49644 It was done almost 20 years ago on here with coroplast. Maybe some info that might help
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques