Piano Hinge Waterproofing advice?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Piano Hinge Waterproofing advice?

Postby Thomcat316 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:52 pm

Our TD had a living hinge, which has given up and gone on to join the choir eternal.

The piano hinge has been purchased, and an appropriate scrap of EPDM RV roof has been procured. Butyl tape is next on the shopping list, unless someone can authoritatively tell me that vacuum bagging seal tape is the same thing, in which case I have it in the shop already.

The advice I'm seeking regards where to apply butyl tape.

The big slab things are the trailer roof, followed (going up) by the piano hinge (0.063"), the EPDM cover (0.040"), and a cap molding that's yet to be determined. This mess will be screwed to the roof every 3-4 inches with sealing washers on the screws.

So, where should I put the butyl tape? I'm good with multiple layers of it, I just want to keep the galley dry.

Thanks!
Build Journal at viewtopic.php?t=44293

And then it went a' roamin'...
Thomcat316
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Piano Hinge Waterproofing advice?

Postby KTM_Guy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:07 pm

Not sure if this helps. I can try to get a better photo. I didn't use butyl tape. Just a bead of caulk and the aluminum trim holds it all down tight. I did turn my hinge upside down from your picture. The part where the rod is sits in the gap between the cabin roof and the hatch.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Re: Piano Hinge Waterproofing advice?

Postby Thomcat316 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:52 pm

That does help, thank you!

I'd like to avoid caulk if possible, with the thought that it's likely simpler to repair on the road with butyl tape. I'm assuming you used the caulk under the EPDM where it's clamped by the trim strips?
Build Journal at viewtopic.php?t=44293

And then it went a' roamin'...
Thomcat316
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques