side tents

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby CaptainKram » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:40 pm

It looks like I answered my own question, thanks to the outstanding work done by sdtripper in his index!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :applause: :applause: :applause:

I think this is the stuff I'm looking for.

http://www.marinetextiles.com/Categorie ... y=Hardware
(looks like what Finn gets)

http://www.morseindustries.com/products ... tegoryid=3

http://www.baerfabrics.com/proddetail.a ... 13689%2DYD

http://www.baerfabrics.com/proddetail.a ... 13690%2DYD

http://www.sailmakerssupply.com/prod_detail_list/48

http://www.beaconfabric.com/vindex.html?cat78.htm
(lower third of page)

CK
"A woman drove me to drink, and I didn't even have the decency to thank her." ~W. C. Feilds
CaptainKram
Teardrop Master

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:58 pm

By the way here is a better pic of what I have. You can get it in single side
welt or double.

and double

Ohh and also it does not leak in that area because its inside of the awning moulding. No water from Mid Section either.

Classic Finn ;)
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby CaptainKram » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:05 pm

Classic Finn wrote:What type of profile do you have? It is flexible however if you look at the front of my lower radius on our Voyager its too sharp as I found out. However it doesnt have to go that low by no means as I did and it damaged it slightly. So I cut a portion of it off at the end and now its good in my opinion.

It installed nicely and with flexiblity on other areas of the tear except the real sharp radius.

The welt comes in 6 or 7 millimeter diameter.

Classic Finn ;)

Similar, but with some tighter radii. I'm working (and by that I mean still in the design phase) :roll: :? on a 14' to 16'L X 7.5'W X 6.5'H :shock: :twisted: Cabin Car, based on 48rob's design :thumbsup: 8) 8) Not sure the aluminum track will bend enough.

CK
"A woman drove me to drink, and I didn't even have the decency to thank her." ~W. C. Feilds
CaptainKram
Teardrop Master

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:06 pm

Also this awning moulding is available (at least here) for a straight wall.

here is another version of it.

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby CaptainKram » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:09 pm

The welt you used is just what I'm looking for. I just think I need a more bendable track.

CK
CaptainKram
Teardrop Master

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:10 pm

CaptainKram wrote:
Classic Finn wrote:What type of profile do you have? It is flexible however if you look at the front of my lower radius on our Voyager its too sharp as I found out. However it doesnt have to go that low by no means as I did and it damaged it slightly. So I cut a portion of it off at the end and now its good in my opinion.

It installed nicely and with flexiblity on other areas of the tear except the real sharp radius.

The welt comes in 6 or 7 millimeter diameter.

Classic Finn ;)

Similar, but with some tighter radii. I'm working (and by that I mean still in the design phase) :roll: :? on a 14' to 16'L X 7.5'W X 6.5'H :shock: :twisted: Cabin Car, based on 48rob's design :thumbsup: 8) 8) Not sure the aluminum track will bend enough.

CK

If its a real tight radius you really have to be careful since the railing will get crimped on it on sharp turns..I found that out too. And patience is needed in installing it on the radius sections. ;)

I also know the most common moulding you folks there in the States use is wider and in my opinion better than some ever found here. On it you can use snaps instead of going around with this type of profile as I used.

Im sure that it wont leak either since some of the edge of the tent is laying on the roof and snapped on. It works pretty well.

Classic Finn ;)

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:17 pm

CaptainKram wrote:The welt you used is just what I'm looking for. I just think I need a more bendable track.

CK

Just an idea for you is that there is a gal named Kristi here on the forum that sews awnings and she mentioned this track also.

The answer will come Im sure of it.. I think a couple of people here have either worked with an Rv shop or is presently working in one.

:thumbsup: ;)

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby CaptainKram » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:25 pm

Classic Finn wrote:If its a real tight radius you really have to be careful since the railing will get crimped on it on sharp turns..I found that out too. And patience is needed in installing it on the radius sections. ;)

I also know the most common moulding you folks there in the States use is wider and in my opinion better than some ever found here. On it you can use snaps instead of going around with this type of profile as I used.

Im sure that it wont leak either since some of the edge of the tent is laying on the roof and snapped on. It works pretty well.

Classic Finn ;)

Thanks for tip, and the info. I've been looking for an excuse to talk to her. ;) :lol: I like the gutter on the second version of the track. Looks like rain would never be a problem. I guess it's back to the drawing board to try and figure out the best way to go. It may be that I'll have to make cuts and small gaps in the rail, and use shock cord type stuff to make it go smoothly. Oh well, the more I find out, the less I know! :? :D :D Thanks again.

CK
Last edited by CaptainKram on Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainKram
Teardrop Master

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:27 pm

I can hardly wait to show the awning completely installed on ours.. Im hoping on or before Xmas.. :lol: And out in the snow.

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:30 pm

CaptainKram wrote:
Classic Finn wrote:If its a real tight radius you really have to be careful since the railing will get crimped on it on sharp turns..I found that out too. And patience is needed in installing it on the radius sections. ;)

Classic Finn ;)

Thanks for tip, and the info. I've been looking for an excuse to talk to her. ;) :lol: I like the gutter on the second version of the track. Looks like rain would never be a problem. I guess it's back to the drawing board to try and figure out the best way to go. It may be that I'll have to make cuts and small gaps in the rail, and use shock cord type stuff to make it go smoothly. Oh well, the more I find out, the less I know! :? :D :D Thanks again.

CK

Anytime my friend, Im glad to help out. I,ll get some other ideas as to go about this as well in a bit.

Classic Finn from Reindeerland. :)

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby CaptainKram » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:33 pm

Classic Finn wrote:I can hardly wait to show the awning completely installed on ours.. Im hoping on or before Xmas.. :lol: And out in the snow.

Good luck on that, and congrats on the build! It's a beautiful tear and excellent work.

CK
CaptainKram
Teardrop Master

Postby cdfnchico » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:58 am

CaptainKram wrote:
Classic Finn wrote:
Kevin A wrote:
Classic Finn wrote:I am planning on a side room or side tent as well...

I did see one here someplace... Was it in someones photo gallery that was made exactly to the profile of the teardrop....Thats what I was planning tot do but Im going to have a Clear Plastic or Urethane window
sewn into it for light as well... And possibly so it can be removed and have a mosquito screen to replace it...

Classic Finn

Heikki, is this the one you saw? It won the best idea award at Minden.

Kevin
Thats the one... telepathy... Thats what were planning to do on ours...
We really like that idea... ;)

Were talking about having one on both sides eventually...That will give
space for a lil cot or 2 on one side and the other for the entrance..

I think it it will work nicely.. Im going to have a photo for you of the special corner moulding that they use here to keep the side room in place
without additional screws, or added snaps...I dont know how to exlain it
but its very handy...as soon as I can get there I,ll post it...

Kevin do you know how that is installed to the sides? or with what?
Classic Finn

OK...I know,really old thread. But...does anyone still have some info on how the tent is attached to the sides of the Tear?
CK

I know y'all have moved on to trim but I saw this the other day on the teardrops.net classifieds site here: http://www.teardrops.net/classads01.html

Says "plans for the trailer and/or the side tent are available" and gives contact info.
Cathy
Build thread - Just Chillin'
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=25151

cdfnchico
Donating Member

Postby Classic Finn » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:23 pm

even though Ive about completed the awning install plans on our tear the one above has me curious as can be how they installed it..

I just cant get my eyes to focus as to how it has been done. :lol: :lol:

Has Grant, or Gage or anyone seen it in person and peeked inside?
I know its been sold by the original builder if I rememember correctly.

Classic Finn ;)

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby CaptainKram » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:32 am

cdfnchico,

Saw that as I was looking around on Friday! That's exactly what I'm looking for! 8) 8) I think I'll have to give him a call. With the size Tear I'm planning on, I could set up a hot tub, or a small tavern on the inside of the tent. :lol: :lol:

CK
CaptainKram
Teardrop Master

Postby Classic Finn » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:59 am

Here if anyone is interested in that nice side tent or awning thats shown a few times in this thread, this is an email I received from the folks that own or owned that tear.

Hope this may help or may be of interest to you.

Well My plans show the method of construction and a list of materials needed. The plans are for a 5' X 10' tent. The shape and size will very a little depending on your trailer. The windows cut out sizes are of personal desire. I also will send by e-mail close up photo's of the tent and critical parts, all for $26.00 US dollars.
Art Sylvia
38 Fargo RD.
Waterford CT. 06385 USA

Classic Finn ;)

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques