Which surface to stick weather strip to?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Which surface to stick weather strip to?

Postby Mr. Lahey » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:24 am

It's getting near time to weather strip my teardrop project. I have home built doors. I am using a Fredricks style door seal area with the inset seal surface.

As I look at the seal area I wonder which is the best area to attach to? Should I mount it on the inner frame of body opening or the door?

On the body looks prone to bumping or snag from enter/exit. Especially the bottom piece. Yet I think the seal is also used as a gutter to channel water away from the opening.

I think I can mount seal to door and still create the water gutter effect at the body when the door is closed.

What's the best way to do this?
My teardrop camper build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64721
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Re: Which surface to stick weather strip to?

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:21 am

What's the best way to do this?

I can't answer that question, but I think the answer is that you want it on the door stop. Just like the doors in your house or your car.

I've got my door stops clamped to the openings as I write this. Here's my plan or at least my mock-up.

Here's the seal I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NL40XTK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Trim Lock recommends a 50% compression for that seal.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Re: Which surface to stick weather strip to?

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:24 am

I run a seal along the door where it overlaps the teardrop body.
I also run a seal at the body opening from the door handle down and back up the same height as the door handle and a thin one in the piano hinge.
Look at the seals on your car doors, there's one on the door and a corresponding seal on the body.
They mesh together to form a flexible seal that is needed as the vehicle travels and flexes.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques