Pop Riveting Trim

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Gage » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:41 pm

Jim Marshall wrote:Gage, it looks like JC Whitney discontinued the tail lights like you have. I did a search online and can't find anything close to what you have. I will keep on looking.

Try here ($20.99): http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2003575/showCustom-0/p-2003575/N-111+10214+600011217/c-10114

I've also got twist nails holding down my hatch trim molding. Like that, I shot some liquid nail in the pre drilled holes just for the hell of it. I had the same concern. Seems to be working.

Have a good day.
8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Gage » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:54 pm

JunkMan wrote:
Gage,
What's a soft squize rivet?
Mark gave the answer. They make them in different hardness. I get mine from a friend that works at a 'Hot Rod Build Shop'. I got my squeze tool from where I retired. Paid a $1.50 for it out of the salvage yard.

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby JunkMan » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:24 pm

MarksMG wrote:[/url]http://www.hansonrivet.com/w08.htm[url]
Here is a link to Squeeze rivets or as we call them in the aircraft industry solid rivets. Hope this helps.[/url]

Thanks Mark. Are those the type of rivits that you set with a air chisel type tool and a backer bar?
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby JunkMan » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:26 pm

I guess I should have looked around that site more, I found my answer. Thanks!
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby Jim Marshall » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:21 pm

Gage, that will work, with the glue in the nail hole, that sounds like a winner to me. Thanks for answering my questions and for the link to JC Whitney. I looked all over their site but I must not have looked in the right place.

Thanks a bunch Danny, I really do appreciate the link, that is just the style I was looking for. For some reason I can't seem to find the things I go looking for.

You guys are the best!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I started out with nothing and I still got plenty left.

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:01 pm

Jim, Try doing an image search with google sometime when you are looking for something, it really saves time and aggravation. Danny :D
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Gage » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:03 pm

Jim Marshall wrote:<snip>
Thanks a bunch Danny, I really do appreciate the link, that is just the style I was looking for. For some reason I can't seem to find the things I go looking for.
<snip>

Think it might be a senior thing :QM :thinking: :lol:

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Jim Marshall » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:04 pm

Gage, I think you are right, I seem to hatch a bunch of those things lately. :?

Danny, I am going to really show my ignorance now. what is an image search? :thinking:

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Postby Kevin A » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:14 pm

Jim Marshall wrote:Gage, I think you are right, I seem to hatch a bunch of those things lately. :?

Danny, I am going to really show my ignorance now. what is an image search? :thinking:

Jim,
when you do a google search ( http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... op+Trailer ) look for the image button in the top of the window, click that and you'll go here ( http://images.google.com/images?sourcei ... a=N&tab=wi )
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby Jim Marshall » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:27 pm

Kevin, that is just too neat! Thanks a bunch buddy, I really do appreciate that information. I learned something new tonight. Thanks again, I feel like I have been given a new toy. :thumbsup:

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Postby Kevin A » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:38 pm

Jim Marshall wrote:Kevin, that is just too neat! Thanks a bunch buddy, I really do appreciate that information. I learned something new tonight. Thanks again, I feel like I have been given a new toy. :thumbsup:

You're welcome, glad to help. 8)
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:30 am

I found squeeze/solid & split rivets in the hardware store ($$$$) but they didn't have a tool for applying them & they thought it would be an air tool so I went with pop rivets and a washer. On my test piece all went well but on the hatch the pop rivets pulled straight through the washer and they won't hold the trim so now I'm back to square one. I have to do the pop rivets from the inside since the thickness of the piened rivet is less and I'm using insert molding that will hide the other end. Has anyone used aluminum insert screws for the hatch? They are quite expensive at about 58 cents each. Any ideas? Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques