Cutting tolerances

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: Cutting tolerances

Postby MickinOz » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:00 am

edgeau wrote:
MickinOz wrote:in the end I clamped it all together and trued it all up with the trimmer bit in the router, and touched up a few spots with the palm sander.
They are now identical.

Skite

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Bwahahahahaaaa, :rofl:
For a moment there, I thought everyone was going to let it go straight through to the keeper/catcher.
:lol:
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby noseoil » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:41 pm

While I know a router can seem like an evil demon with teeth, it's one of the best tools to learn to use. It makes repeat cuts, patterns & plowing edges an easy task, once mastered.

Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:25 pm

I'd never be without one, as a matter of fact I own two. I built the furniture in my lounge room with the smaller Bosch one, then scored a scarey monster Makita.
I cut all the sides with the routers. No laying down a pencil line and roughing out with a jig saw for me.
Problems occurred due to poor quality ply and late night work - surfaces not quite flat, sheets not quite square, lighting not the best, fatigue, etc, that left the two sheets not quite equal, despite my super dooper guide and swivel.
I was reluctant to trim because the router I would need to use was the "big" one. It's a torque reacting monster that takes some hanging onto when working freehand.
The weight alone means you have to concentrate pretty hard to feel when you've got the inboard part of the platen sitting flat on the timber.
Decided to do it in the end, and glad I did.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques