Mounting Challenger Cargo Doors

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Mounting Challenger Cargo Doors

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:48 pm

We have three Challenger brand cargo doors to mount on our teardrop. These are a bit different from the passenger doors.

Here is what the cargo doors look like

Note there is a door seal built into the frame, with about half of the frame on the other side of the seal from the door. My first thought for mounting the doors is to drill holes and use screws in the frame on the back side of the frame, away from the door, since water would have a harder time getting into the screws. Also, I can use pan head screws and the heads won't interfere with the door. Seems like a no-brainer, right?

(However, our side walls aren't quite thick enough to mount the doors that way, unless I add some blocking. Not really a big deal.)

But, I looked for videos or other instructions on how to mount these doors, and found Challenger's instructions lacking, both in detail and accuracy. (Their instructions for these "600 Series" doors appear to be for another type altogether.) I did, however, find this video that clearly shows the screws for a cargo door on the door (and weather) side of the seal.

So, does anyone see any reason why I shouldn't mount with the screws behind the seal? Perhaps I'm missing something?

Thanks, in advance, for any thoughts.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Re: Mounting Challenger Cargo Doors

Postby kscmpr54 » Fri May 01, 2020 8:42 pm

Can’t imagine a problem placing the screws on the inside. Seems like a great idea to keep them out of the weather with corrosion and water intrusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kscmpr54
Teardrop Builder

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques