Attaching Floor to Frame

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Attaching Floor to Frame

Postby Air_N_Water2000 » Fri May 15, 2020 12:44 pm

Almost everything that I've been able to find shows mounting a wooden sub-frame to the top of the steel trailer frame and then mounting the floor to the wooden sub-frame. Is there a reason for this? My thoughts were to put frame cross-members under where there might be floor splices along with flat plate at the junctions between the side rails and cross-members. Then I could simply bolt 3/4" plywood directly to the frame thru the flat plate. I would bolt wood to the side of the frame to use to connect the side wall to. Any thoughts/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Floor Mounting.jpg
Floor Mounting.jpg (117.03 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
Air_N_Water2000
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Attaching Floor to Frame

Postby linuxmanxxx » Fri May 15, 2020 2:19 pm

My trailers always had deep angle iron so I did it to raise it above the edges so I could extend 6"to both sides giving extra foot of width. And extra foot longer as well.
Steve

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby Air_N_Water2000 » Sat May 16, 2020 5:09 pm

Steve,
That makes sense and was the reason I suspect most people do it. Just need some feedback before I do something that I could possibly regret later.
Thanks
Air_N_Water2000
Teardrop Inspector

Postby linuxmanxxx » Sat May 16, 2020 6:33 pm

Also it raises it and less chance for water to penetrate floor trapped in frame pockets. Bolt the subframe up solid and glue screw floor to it for easier mounting and dismounting if ever needed. Do a sandwich floor and it's much lighter and massively strong and match your cross members in the floor to your subframe if you do this.

Good glues are massively strong so use a lot and fasteners are really just to hold it together as the glues dry so all your loads will be on how you fasten directly to your trailer.

If a weld broke on the trailer what's the easiest way to fix such a problem and think of any other things you might ever encounter before you actually build.
Steve

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques