Using Trailer Deck as Floor

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Using Trailer Deck as Floor

Postby Absinthe » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:48 am

I purchased a 5x10 trailer built by a local manufacturer who added decking like this:

Would it be a good ideal to keep this decking on and attach my walls directly to the deck?

I was thinking I could add a vapor barrier to the deck and one sheet of 1/4 ply before attaching the walls.

Thoughts on the benefits/drawbacks of going this route vs building a sandwich floor?

TY
Absinthe
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Using Trailer Deck as Floor

Postby OP827 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:15 pm

I think this is what GPW ended up doing, i.e. replaced OSB to boards on his FoamStream and seemed to be happy with that decision.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Absinthe » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:26 am

OP827 wrote:I think this is what GPW ended up doing, i.e. replaced OSB to boards on his FoamStream and seemed to be happy with that decision.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Do you have any more clarity to this?

I looked through GPW's images and could not find an exact image of the floor in this way.

My goal here is to identify whether I SHOULD use the existing floor on my trailer OR replace it with the standard sandwich, insulated floor others have used and which would yield better results.

Thank you,
Absinthe
Teardrop Inspector

Postby OP827 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:19 pm

I do not recall seeing pictured of the GPW's FoamStream board floor, but the discussion about the board floor started here.
Hope it helps with your design options.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:30 pm

Board floor is heavier than thin ply-foam-ply sandwich floor, but it is cheaper and quicker when it is already there and minimising overall weight is not a main goal.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Absinthe » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:29 am

OP827 wrote:Board floor is heavier than thin ply-foam-ply sandwich floor, but it is cheaper and quicker when it is already there and minimising overall weight is not a main goal.

Great! Thank you for that! This saves quite a bit of time and effort and weight is not an issue.
Absinthe
Teardrop Inspector

Postby swoody126 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:04 am

if you do use the board deck you will still have to add a solid waterproof surface over it

the boards will shrink as they dry out and rain n dust will splash/come up inside the trailer if you don't :shock:

trailer manufacturers even leave a bit of space between the boards to begin with so dirt/trash can sift it's way thru the cracks ;)

more thinking is in order IMHO

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Apples » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:20 pm

If you're going to overlay, say, 1/2" marine ply (no gaps, exterior glue) to serve as the interior floor of your trailer cabin, then why not remove every other 2 X 8 that's now on the trailer? Keep the outermost boards, of course, and work your way to center.

I haven't counted the number of boards on your trailer deck in the pictures, so don't know if my OCD would be satisfied with the end result...

:lol:
Apples
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rjgimp » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:48 pm

Yeah, If weight is not an issue and those are the floor dimensions you want, I would absolutely keep that floor. As far as a finish surface, I would soak it with 'the Mix' (a 75/25 mixture of polyurethane and varnish for waterproofing, enter it in the search box in the upper right) and cover it with nice sheet vinyl flooring. You wont get splinters in your socks in the morning and spilled coffee (or beer or whatever) will clean up far easier.
:thumbsup:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby JasenC » Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:12 pm

The dimensional lumber is going to move around as the seasons change even quite a bit. Even skinning it with ply you'll most likely end up with an uneven floor possible buckling plus there's no good way to keep moisture from creeping in between it and your plywood floor which will just add to the issue.
Plus those decks tend to be doug fir which is heavy as in 2-3 lbs a ln.ft. a torsion box floor is going to be far more stable.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:59 am

That's a heavy trailer. Anything you can do to lighten it up will be a checkmark on the positive side of the ledger. I'd pull the boards and either save them to use for a future project or sell them. Weight builds up fast during camper construction.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:15 pm

tony.latham wrote:That's a heavy trailer. Anything you can do to lighten it up will be a checkmark on the positive side of the ledger. I'd pull the boards and either save them to use for a future project or sell them. Weight builds up fast during camper construction.

:thinking:

Tony

:yes:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques