Suggestion for a external A/C unit

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Suggestion for a external A/C unit

Postby rovwel » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:14 pm

I am in the the final process of putting the roof on my teardrop and installing the ducting I just bought this month from ClimateRight.
I decided to bite the bullet and purchase the A/C now and found out they discontinued all models due to import fees.

I have searched around and cannot find a comparable from another manufacturer. Any suggestions?

I will still install the vents and duct attachments, and hope to have a solution in a month from now. I am expecting but not looking forward to modifying a window unit. Any help is appreciated

Bill
rovwel
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Suggestion for a external A/C unit

Postby Philip » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:03 pm

If your close to Indiana send me a PM about a climate right.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby steve cowan » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:25 am

Maybe try this sight.
securepets.com
Appears to have 2500 and 5000 btu
steve cowan
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:13 pm

We just used our AC in North Dakota
The write up http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=44561
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby GRH-camper17 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:26 pm

I had purchased a 5,000BTU climate right a few years ago and installed the two 4" duct holes in my trailer. It is a great idea for a Heat/AC combo unit. But unfortunately the AC is not robust at all and is prone to breakage - leaking out all the oil from the compressor. They replaced it under warranty, but the replacement unit was also damaged in shipment before I even received it (cardboard box already showed the leakage when it was delivered). So apparently they were a great idea without a robust design and don't seem to be available since they were manufactured in China?

I still have my old climate right unit since it still works as a heater (but not AC). I modified a window AC unit (5 or 6K btu) to accept the same dual 4" hoses and connectors. In a hot humid environment, the AC coils tend to freeze up and air stops flowing. I solved this by adding a timer that will cycle the whole unit on/off at whatever interval I set. 30-min on and 30-min off works. But I could probably shorten the off cycle and still get by. But it cools OK this way so I haven't changed the on/off timing.

The main issue is that when I go on a trip, I need to either take two units along or decide if I will need heat vs AC before I go. In the case of our Western trip to Yellowstone, we used AC in SD Badlands area, then needed heat for the 35-deg nights at Yellowstone.

GR
GRH-camper17
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:43 pm

We carry a small electric heater.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby philpom » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:39 am

We are planning a baffle box for a 5000 btu window unit and using 4" ducting. We'll use an inline fan to push the air along. For heat a small ceramic heater.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby rovwel » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:20 am

Thanks for all the input. So I did go the modify window unit route. This is my saga.

1) I purchased a used 5,000 BTU unit and removed the metal case and built a plywood box around it 4 inch supply and returns . When tested out for a day the trailer was cool but not cold . I found out the unit was short cycling on the thermastat, So i moved the thermocouple off the Evaporator, still no real change. So I assumed my $20 A/C was on its last legs.

2) I ended up with a new 6,000 BTU window A/C and decided to experiment . instead of the trouble of building a full enclosure I built a box the attached to the front end and ducted the supply and return. Same problem.

3) So I deduced I had a airflow issue and installed a bilge blower fan to the supply duct side. This seamed to work but after running it over night it was not cooling great and found the evaporator iced up with 1.5 inches of ice. Next I tried the blower on the return side and had the same problem. So I still have an air flow issue. But do not want to start chopping bigger holes in the trailer yet.

4) I saw a video of someone building a jury rigged A?C system where he only ducted the supply into his door window. So I routed the supply side to my ducts in the trailer and left the supply open to ambient air. This worked great and does supply continuous cold air. I do have a little heartburn over the efficiency of cooling the outside air and not circulation it . I guess the plus side is I never have to worry about a Carbon Dioxide issue.

I have not seen people stating these issues so it looks like I have a short term fix , but looking to make this better without a lot of Mods or having to carry bulky sized ducting.

I will post pictures soon.
rovwel
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:40 am

rovwel wrote:4) I saw a video of someone building a jury rigged A?C system where he only ducted the supply into his door window. So I routed the supply side to my ducts in the trailer and left the supply open to ambient air. This worked great and does supply continuous cold air. I do have a little heartburn over the efficiency of cooling the outside air and not circulation it . I guess the plus side is I never have to worry about a Carbon Dioxide issue.

After some experimentation, we found our Climateright works just fine drawing air for the AC from outside. We leave our overhead fan open for warm air in the cabin to escape. (When we tried recirculating air, the AC eventually froze.)

Far as efficiency, it's efficient enough, and probably costs only pennies extra of electricity (which we make for in other ways in a teardrop).

We've used it on some record breaking heat/humidity across country this Summer with excellent results! :thumbsup:

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:32 am

This is the thread and variations of what others have done. We have no problems with freezups and judging by the amount condensate having a closed system beats cold wet air :roll:

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=44561&hilit=Hacking+a
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques