gas struts

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby mikeschn » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:12 am

Yep I was pissed.

I'm thinking about cutting a hole with a holesaw, and just plugging it with a round plug. Would that be too obvious?

Would some kind of decoration be better? What if I cut a teardrop out of 1/8" plywood, and engraved our names on it, and glued it over the hole?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby toypusher » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:45 am

MIke,

Doesn't look that bad. Can you use something thin to put the material back in place?? I know it will not be perfect. Just get it back as close as possible. Get another piece of ply that matches and sand it a bunch (catching the dust in the bag of course) Use the dust and some glue to make a paste that is thick and patch over the hole. When drie, sand smooth! Just like repairing drywall!!! :D
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Chris C » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:00 am

Mike,

Get someone to carve you a big flower, or something else you might like. Place a piece of sandpaper on the surface of the hatch and sand the applique to meet the radius. Then glue it in place. No one will know about the hole but you!
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby Boodro » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:35 am

Mike , I do custom leather work . Want a custom made ,hand tolled leather patch ? Your name & Chell and a Teardrop tooled in maybe ? Maybe the year the TD was made ? Maybe a 6" x 4 " ?
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:48 am

Boodro,

Food for thought. I'll keep that in mind!

Mike..
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Laredo » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:07 pm

Mike,
what about a decorative inlay? maybe supporting a utility hook or a small light?
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Ken A Hood » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:14 pm

mikeschn wrote:

Just wondering about the struts; I thought I read somewhere (here) that the piston assembly (top part in pic) should be on the bottom........... :oops:

So if the seals ever leak (if they are on the bottom) they won't leak into the galley.
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:20 pm

Ken,

I installed them that way, so that rain wouldn't get into the end of the struts...

If I'm wrong, someone had better tell me quick... I'd hate to have a million people build the ultralight with the struts facing the wrong way... :shocked:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Ken A Hood » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:21 pm

I think (don't qoute me.........) that I remember Grant mentioning it in a post.....
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby seahorse » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:22 pm

and I always thought they went the way Mike has them.....Keeps the seals lubricated.
seahorse
Donating Member

Postby angib » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:47 am

Here is what Grant Whipp recommended for mounting gas springs:

"Most galley lids are 44-48" hinge-to-threshold, and here is the mounting that has worked for me for nearly 20 years:
Pivot point on the lid - 5" down the rib from the hinge
Pivot point on the wall - approx. 17-1/2" down the galley wall from the hinge, and in just enough to clear the lid framing.
I build a fairly light weight lid, and on a 4' wide teardrop I typically use 45-55# gas struts, 18 to 18-1/2" long in the open position. Most retail outfits will let you exchange for a heavier set if you need to.

One other thing to keep in mind if using gas struts is to keep the gas cylinder on the down side. When the seals fail (and they WILL fail), nasty fluid leaks out, and if that cylinder is on the up side, that fluid will run down the rod and drip all over your counter-top - better to keep the it contained on the prop as best as you can."

I've drawn this out and I hope Grant will confirm this is what he meant!

Grant's origonal post in full is here.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Jst83 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:38 pm

angib wrote:Here is what Grant Whipp recommended for mounting gas springs:

"Most galley lids are 44-48" hinge-to-threshold, and here is the mounting that has worked for me for nearly 20 years:
Pivot point on the lid - 5" down the rib from the hinge
Pivot point on the wall - approx. 17-1/2" down the galley wall from the hinge, and in just enough to clear the lid framing.
I build a fairly light weight lid, and on a 4' wide teardrop I typically use 45-55# gas struts, 18 to 18-1/2" long in the open position. Most retail outfits will let you exchange for a heavier set if you need to.

Grant's origonal post in full is here.

Andrew

Ok I'm drumming up and old old thread about struts as I'm about to mount them.
I see in the picture above the strut is mounted 5" from the hinge on the lid side and on the pic below it's closer on the galley side.
My hatch when weighed today was 38lb when it's done I figure closer to 45lb and it's 6 '3" wide and probably about 5+ feet from hinge to tip mesured along the curve.
Which would be best for this size a hatch or would both work fine?
In the picks I also see 17 1/2" from hinge to end of strut is this a straight line figure?

Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby dh » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:05 pm

Hey mike, you could put this over the hole in your hatch :lol:

Ignorant doesn't know any better, Stupid knows better but does it anyway.

My build page: http://www.tdbuildlog.blogspot.com/
dh
Gold Donating Member

Postby emiller » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:25 pm

http://www.customgassprings.com/faq.htm

mikeschn wrote:Ken,

I installed them that way, so that rain wouldn't get into the end of the struts...

If I'm wrong, someone had better tell me quick... I'd hate to have a million people build the ultralight with the struts facing the wrong way... :shocked:

Mike...
emiller
Donating Member

Postby kennyrayandersen » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:52 am

emiller wrote:http://www.customgassprings.com/faq.htm

mikeschn wrote:Ken,

Mike...

I couldn't get the link to work :?
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques