Trailer frame construction

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Trailer frame construction

Postby flashkb » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:58 am

Hello, being a newbie, I was wondering about constructing a trailer frame of aluminum. I was wondering instead of making a frame then attaching the teardrop to it, could the who thing be made as a one piece aluminum frame? Thoughts anyone?
flashkb
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Trailer frame construction

Postby Ottsville » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:05 pm

flashkb wrote:Hello, being a newbie, I was wondering about constructing a trailer frame of aluminum. I was wondering instead of making a frame then attaching the teardrop to it, could the who thing be made as a one piece aluminum frame? Thoughts anyone?

Pretty much anything "could" be done, especially if you are willing to throw lots of money at it. Outside of a large sheet stamped into shape(massive tooling and equipment cost) I can't picture how you would do it though. What are you thinking?
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby MtnDon » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:18 pm

You need to define what you mean as "one piece". I have trouble envisioning anything other than welding together pieces. Done right that can be very strong.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:21 pm

Aluminum frames take a lot more thought than a steel frame as aluminum fatigues and breaks if there is any flexing. You'll want to have someone look at your design that knows how thick the stock should be, span ratings, etc. And it will likely be a lot more expensive than steel to build.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby flashkb » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:55 am

I think I wouldnt necessarily make the frame out of aluminum I could use steel. Im just imaging automobiles. Since cars and some SUVs are made as a unibody, I was thinking it would save weight if the trailers whole frame was welded as one unit.
flashkb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bdosborn » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:42 am

There used to be a trailer frame building tutorial in the Design Resources link above but the link is bad, I think the website was maintained by Doug Hodder who passed on a couple of years ago. I have a copy of the tutorial if you want it.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:37 pm

Since cars and some SUVs are made as a unibody...

Aren't all unibody cars made from steel? Tesla's new electric truck is unibody but uses stainless steel. There has to be a reseason Elon's engineers chose not to go with aluminum.

:thinking:

As Musk himself might say, "why not?"

I think it's possible for someone that is experienced in designing monocoque aircraft. But for sure, it's way above my pay grade. We do tow these thousand-pound creations at 60 miles per hour or more against opposing traffic. (What could possibly go wrong?)

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques