Suggestions for wide trim/bottom skirt?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Suggestions for wide trim/bottom skirt?

Postby philpom » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:37 pm

Hello,

I used a simple lap joint (wall on floor w/cleat) to attach my walls. It is a ways down the road but I am starting to consider how I will trim that out. I'm thinking corner tape and butyl but want a wide trim around the bottom. Maybe 4-6 inches wide. Any thoughts or ideas for this trim? Here is a sample of where it will go.

This is along the front so you can see a support member, then the floor and finally the wall on top. Down the sides it's just the floor, wall and screws. The goal is to seal the layers, the screws and cover the frame. Final coatings will be applied before any trim goes on. Most likely a great primer and Line-X or similar.

Thanks in advance!
philpom
Teardrop Master

Re: Suggestions for wide trim/bottom skirt?

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:53 pm

You could put a strip of aluminum diamond plate along there.

:thinking:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:19 am

4" x 3/32" (or 1/8") with screws & Sikaflex will work. You just need to make sure the pieces fit will prior to trying to attach them the trailer. Make them first & cut around frame members & other things for a nice finish. Use the front one to cap the side pieces, use the side pieces to cap the rear piece & you're set. Sikaflex & stainless steel screws (with pilot holes drilled first in the trim) will get the job done, look good & last as long as you need it to.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby philpom » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:14 am

noseoil wrote:4" x 3/32" (or 1/8") with screws & Sikaflex will work. You just need to make sure the pieces fit will prior to trying to attach them the trailer. Make them first & cut around frame members & other things for a nice finish. Use the front one to cap the side pieces, use the side pieces to cap the rear piece & you're set. Sikaflex & stainless steel screws (with pilot holes drilled first in the trim) will get the job done, look good & last as long as you need it to.

Thank you. I assume when you say "use the front to cap the sides" you mean to create a 1/4" 90° bend at the ends that will wrap the corner and cover the seam. I do not have access to a break to make those bends. Any tricks to get that done?
philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby noseoil » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:19 pm

No need to bend them, just put the back on first, then the sides & finally use the front to cover the edges of the sides. That should be enough to hold things in place. If they hang down below things, you can fasten angles behind each of the corners for a better joint & fit. It will reinforce the corner & take fasteners.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby wannabefree » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:24 pm

I had the same problem and handled it this way on my woodie build. I glued up a board consisting of about 1-1/2 inch African mahogany, 1/4 inch maple, 3/4 inch purple heart, 1/4 inch maple, and 1-1/2 inch African mahogany all glued up like racing stripes. Screwed it on and plugged the screw holes with maple. Sorry, I forgot how to embed images, but it's in my gallery. Like this: 63793 or 63795 gives a closer look. The purpleheart has lost some of its purple, but people still notice.
In anything at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
wannabefree
The 300 Club

Postby Greg M » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:15 pm

Ooo, that’s pretty Wannabefree. Reminds me of JuneauDave’s build :thumbsup:
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques