New Build, no Galley stability concerns

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

New Build, no Galley stability concerns

Postby SkiBumEric » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:11 pm

Alright, It's been a few years. I built a Teardrop based of the Wyoming Woody designs with some tweaks here and there. Worked great, but unfortunately the elements have been less than kind over the years. I'm planning a new build with FRP for the exterior that will hopefully be better than the 1/8 inch ply that didn't work out so well. I've had time to reflect on what worked and what didn't with my last build. This go-around I'm going to build a frame out of lumber instead of plywood. I'm more comfortable with regular lumber and it's more forgiving IMO. Among other things, I'm also going to include the "tongue box"/battery/electronics area in a cubby in front on the inside, just extending the front of the living space.

Other changes:
15 inch wheels (more clearance, better ride)
extending forward from trailer frame ~16 inches and back ~12 inches
~5 foot cabin height at the tallest.
Tow vehicle is now a truck instead of a car, weight isn't nearly as much of a concern anymore.
Dual 'cargo' type doors in the rear.

The big question I have is does anyone have any experience with building pretty much a hollow shell? I'm worried about the structural stability without the galley counter or other cabinets going across the whole trailer to give it rigidity. I've attached a pic of my "design". I use excel since it doesn't cost me anything and I can use it pretty much anywhere. 1 cell=1 inch
Thanks all this forum is the best!
Attachments
Trailer Mockup.png
Trailer Mockup.png (29.32 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
SkiBumEric
Teardrop Inspector

Re: New Build, no Galley stability concerns

Postby philpom » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:54 pm

Hi,

I think it will depend on how well you build it. I am also building without a galley but I did build a rear bulkhead area for a small trunk area that will span the entire width and I am putting 3 shelves across the front that will span the width. Both of these will add tremendous rigidity to the build. Plywood is also used and very strong, it is already very stiff.

Are you building a box up front for your battery etc? If so you could take it all the way across to help stiffen it up. If you are only using the FRP over your stick framing I would have some concerns. Maybe integrate some 3/4" ply braces inside the walls in the corners top, bottom, sides and front/back? What about any shelving you plan to install? Make it structural so it forms bracing.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby SkiBumEric » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:11 pm

Yeah, I plan to heavily reinforce where I can. Top corners and the area separating the battery/electronics from the rest of the living area. The top will probably be overbuilt because of my concerns, with 1x2 bracing every 12 inches across the width of the trailer. As far as shelving, I was going to do a cabinet on each side that doesn't go completely across, leaving the upper area mostly open, maybe hanging some netting between the two cabinets. I plan to use 2x3s on all the corners to help make up for the lack of anything else in the middle of the trailer. I'll also get some decent bracing from the raised bed ~12 inches above the trailer deck. Underneath will be storage and I'm hoping to stop a condensation problem I had under the bed with my first build with that extra air layer.
SkiBumEric
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:01 pm

will hopefully be better than the 1/8 inch ply...

What kind of plywood was that? Luan? From Lowe's? Homedepot?

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby SkiBumEric » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:27 pm

1/8 inch ply from HD. Nothing fancy, the only kind the ones around me carried I think. Covered in multiple epoxy and spar urethane layers. Unfortunately I don’t have a garage so the sun and rain were pretty cruel. After the rebuild I plan to set up some sort of covering for protection. I’ll also be covering all the wood framing in a Titebond II solution for more longevity.
SkiBumEric
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques