Window Replacement

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Window Replacement

Postby katrinad » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:00 pm

I never thought I'd be able to report this back. My foamie has survived 8 seasons of camping!!!

I would like to add it's still going strong, but alas, it has several things that need to be addressed. On our roadtrip up to Idaho this year, we pulled into a campsite to find our front window smashed to a million pieces. The front window is a tinted slider, exit window. 42x22". The fixed pane is the pane that broke. We managed to go the rest of the year with pink foam replacement. But now I'm hoping to fix it up to get a 9th season out of my trailer.

The primary issue is that I installed it without a trim ring/frame. The window was used from ebay, and never came with one. So I just screwed through the window into some 1x2 braces and gorilla glued the heck out of it. I'm afraid I will ruin the teardrop if I have to cut out the entire window, frame and all and replace it. I called a few places in the summer to see about getting it fixed, but no one answered my inquiries due to the crazy camper demand of 2020.

So, does anyone know if it is possible to keep my current window frame, and replace only the broken fixed pane? If so, what companies could I purchase pre-cut safety tinted glass from? And does anyone have any resources on how I could install myself?

Along the same lines, I'm also having a difficult time even finding a full on window replacement of the same dimensions. I've only found RecPro anyone know of other options?

katrinad
Teardrop Builder

Re: Window Replacement

Postby pchast » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:02 pm

that looks like a rubber gasket all around the window. If so, there is a method to install a new glass. Its difficult and normally done with deeper gaskets, done with string and lubrication. The glass must be sized a hair under the total size..... ask an old time windshield installer for good info.( before unibody and urethane glue.)

PS: Look for Plexiglas or another plastic that won't scratch as much.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:00 am

I agree with Pete. Take it to a windshield shop and get their input. If it can be fixed in situ, they'll know.

:frightened: Teardrops fronts do take a beating... Sorry to hear my state did that damage.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby katrinad » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:09 pm

Wahoo, you guys might be saving my butt! I took off the gorilla tape and low and behold, there is a gasket in the frame that goes all the way around that the glass fits into. I was able to remove it all in one piece so I'm thinking I can reuse the gasket too. This may be an easier repair than I anticipated. The hardest part will be sourcing the plexiglass and getting the appropriate rounded corners. Not quite sure how it will fit back in without brute force, maybe the slight undersize you recommended. But I'm feeling a lot more hopeful now.

When this first happened I thought our foamie was donezo. I was planning on upsizing and then giving away the trailer for free. We really weren't sure that it was going to make it through that roadtrip, let alone the rest of the summer. Now, we might be heading into season 9 of camping.

katrinad
Teardrop Builder

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques